Author Topic: Cheese vat  (Read 14272 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Cheese vat
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
Just wanted to mention, my Avantco arrived today, and I sunk my 6" full hotel pan into it.  The Avantco calls for a gallon of water in the well for the bath, and that's what I did.  I don't see the water level on the sides of the pan (perfect fit, by the way), but the pan floated until 3ish gallons were poured.  I will see how much water I can get away with. 

The warmer heats from the sides, like a turkey roaster; a big band that wraps around the well.  Equal distribution of heating from the sides, not a point or set of points on the bottom.

In terms of pan capacity, I can easily do 4 gallon makes.  John's Temp control arrives with today's delivery (man, that was quick - thank you again, John!) so we'll play with that later on, but for now, the Avantco is performing brilliantly in heating up my test run, 4 gallons of water.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:43:17 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
spoons, what is supporting your hotel pan when it sits in your food container.

It's a perfect fit. The food pan fits perfectly on the inside of the top groove of the plastic container. The food pan doesn't wobble, isn`t loose or doesn't fit too tight and get stuck. It's perfectly inserted. That's for a half pan only.

Also, the temp differential is great because there's only a small volume of water in the bath.  That's why I haven't yet tried a full pan, I just can't seem to find a plastic container of the right size. I may have found a good match for a 2/3 pan though.

Spoons

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
Just wanted to mention, my Avantco arrived today, and I sunk my 6" full hotel pan into it.  The Avantco calls for a gallon of water in the well for the bath, and that's what I did.  I don't see the water level on the sides of the pan (perfect fit, by the way), but the pan floated until 3ish gallons were poured.  I will see how much water I can get away with. 

The warmer heats from the sides, like a turkey roaster; a big band that wraps around the well.  Equal distribution of heating from the sides, not a point or set of points on the bottom.

In terms of pan capacity, I can easily do 4 gallon makes.  John's Temp control arrives with today's delivery (man, that was quick - thank you again, John!) so we'll play with that later on, but for now, the Avantco is performing brilliantly in heating up my test run, 4 gallons of water.

That's good news Arnaud! You'll probably get some very accurate temps controls. Would you put your temp controller thermometer in the water bath then (as opposed to putting it in the milk)?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
Spoons and Geo, looking back over the thread and your rigs...very sweet.  All my experience in brewing, cooking,etc., tells me that almost more than anything else, it's getting to know your equipment, your kitchen, etc.  I really liked John's design, the inherent ease of use in just plugging my gear in, and going.  I do know to watch as it approaches target temps, as it (if I understand correctly, from memory) doesn't have a slow-down feature, unlike a PID...which bursts in shorter and smaller increments as it approaches the set temp.  I don't think it's a big deal....2 degrees up or down.  I love that there's no wiring, and the probe itself can be disconnected easily.  Flexibility, a very cool, elegant design.  This is my vat for rebs and tommes.

That said, if I get a wild hair, I may just yet get that PID and enough capacity to return to my first love......M. le Beaufort, with Oude Kaas's true hoop, for huge wheels!  (I would love a copper jam pot and an open fire...but as I intimated to our good friend Pav, sometimes reality has such an annoying habit of being so, real).
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »

That's good news Arnaud! You'll probably get some very accurate temps controls. Would you put your temp controller thermometer in the water bath then (as opposed to putting it in the milk)?

Not sure yet, Spoons.  I think I'll likely just drop it in the milk.  I love that it can be bent to shape.
- Paul

Geodyne

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »
I agree that it's about getting to know your equipment, Arnaud, which is why I haven't got around to installing a PID yet. Controlling temperature manually is a bit of a faff, but I figure I'm there stirring anyway.

John's design is an elegant solution for someone starting out: sometimes you just want to make cheese, not play with wiring!

Dethstryk

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »
spoons, what is supporting your hotel pan when it sits in your food container.

It's a perfect fit. The food pan fits perfectly on the inside of the top groove of the plastic container. The food pan doesn't wobble, isn`t loose or doesn't fit too tight and get stuck. It's perfectly inserted. That's for a half pan only.

Also, the temp differential is great because there's only a small volume of water in the bath.  That's why I haven't yet tried a full pan, I just can't seem to find a plastic container of the right size. I may have found a good match for a 2/3 pan though.

I found this container on amazon. the dimensions are 18x26x9 which will fit the full size pan and leave room for the sous vide circulator.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D1ZTYY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1842KRTT9LNAG&coliid=I3395UIYSTPF0E

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »
I'm fascinated by engineering, though I've no mind for its rigors nor no talent for it's creativity.  You guys impress the hell out of me.  If I had my druthers, I'd have one souped-up techno make room, with every convenience well at hand, and a small plot of land in an alpine setting, with a copper cauldron and logs for years of old-school, Beaufort makes.  But I don't have the bod anymore to do the latter, and you're spot on - as much as I learned by doing Yoav's PID design, it's not my forte....so I leave it up to John, and guys like you!

edit:  Just want to say, got John's TC hooked up, and it absolutely rocks!!!   John, thank you so much! 
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »

I found this container on amazon. the dimensions are 18x26x9 which will fit the full size pan and leave room for the sous vide circulator.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D1ZTYY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1842KRTT9LNAG&coliid=I3395UIYSTPF0E

I've never been sure about that container serving as a water bath for a full pan. There'd be a lot of water, maybe too much. But then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »

edit:  Just want to say, got John's TC hooked up, and it absolutely rocks!!!   John, thank you so much!

Want to see photos of your set up now......please?????   ???

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »
What Ms. T said >:(
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
Hahah, I will guys - sorry, after doing the trial run I ran out to Dairy Connection (now called "Get Cultures, for its retail end) for stuff for upcoming rebs (tommes first), so I broke down for the night.  I promise to take shots next time.  Thank you again, John, if you're reading this - what a fine thing you've provided. :)
- Paul

Chicken man

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Hi Jessie.
the food warmer seems to be a great idea with not  much fiddling around with....I bouilt a 40 litre vat from a stainless steel laundry sink and an outer skin for a water Jacket.
you can get PID temp controllers fron the net easily and the elements can be made ...soft so you can form the shape you want inside your jacket.
mine is up one end of the jacket and the water circulates by convection around the tank giving me even heating!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:01:41 PM by Chicken man »

Spoons

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Vat envy vah-t en·vy noun a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's cheese vat.

Thank you for sharing that pic, Mister Chicken man. I can honestly say your pic left me a feeling of Vat Envy  ;) Nice work!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
I admit to vat envy also.   ::)