Author Topic: Cheese vat  (Read 14271 times)

seemunkee

Re: Cheese vat
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
That is one hell of a vat Chicken man. 

For those of you using the Avantco, where do you put your temp sensor?  I just finished installing the temp controller, but not sure what the best place is for the sensor to prevent it from going beyond the range I set.

Chicken man

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »
Hi Seemunkee.
Thanks for the praise!!
I put my temp sensor about 4-5 inches above the element...Keeps good temp and heat  spreads well with just convection!
Cheers
Ian

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
So excited!!  My Avantco "vat" is on its way!  Now, I will need to order a temp controller.  Suggestions on that???  Will it work okay to just turn the unit on and off in pulses to bring the water up to temp until I get the controller wired in?
Susan
Susan

Spoons

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
So excited!!  My Avantco "vat" is on its way!  Now, I will need to order a temp controller.  Suggestions on that???

How fun!!! You'll love having a rectangular vat. "it's hip to be square". LOL! JohnPC sells some good temp control units. You can even choose one of 3 types of sensor probes. Ask him what the advantages are and which one will suit you best. He also sells a great curd knife for rectangular vats. Here's his website.

http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller

Will it work okay to just turn the unit on and off in pulses to bring the water up to temp until I get the controller wired in?

It will work ok. Just be careful doing it manually because the minimum temp when heating is 140F I believe.

seemunkee

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
So excited!!  My Avantco "vat" is on its way!  Now, I will need to order a temp controller.  Suggestions on that???  Will it work okay to just turn the unit on and off in pulses to bring the water up to temp until I get the controller wired in?
Susan

I used this one
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000/dp/B00862G3TQ
Found this useful for the wiring diagram
http://benstarr.com/tag/stc-1000/

Just remember that the coil will carry over residual heat.

Chicken man

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 04:47:21 AM »
Hi.
I thionk youll find that the water will hold temp really well when you get to set temp!
Ian

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 03:33:20 AM »
I did a test run with 4 gallons of water in the 6 inch deep pan.  I used a thermometer in the pan with the 4 gallons, with a lid on. The temp controller on the unit is numbered. On number 1, it took about one hour to increase the water temp 10 degrees, and when I turned the unit off, the temp gradually increased another 3 degrees. Later I did a run on number 2. It took about 30 mins to increase 10 degrees, and again when I turned it off there was a 3 degree creep. Then I tried to see how hot it would get on maximum temp. It topped out at about 160 degrees. So with that in mind, I may try keeping a close eye and turning the heat down as I get within about 5 degrees of target.
Susan

Offline Bear and Bunny cheese

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • If it feels good, brew it!
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
  Man oh man I've been quite struck with vat envy seeing this post.  I must make one!
  For all of you that have purchased the Avantco warmer, has it performed to your liking?  It seems so inexpensive!  What is the source of heat with the Avantco?  Arnaud: you mentioned a heating band.  What kind of power drives that?
  Is there anyone using PIDs with it yet?  I'm set to move forward but am intimidated with PID programming especially since each model is programmed uniquely.  Would love to draw on your experiences with it especially the PID programming language. And could anyone explain what ramp soak is?
   Any ideas about circulation pumps?  I expect there would be large variations with heat distribution.  I would prefer to not drill holes in the warmer for an exterior circulating pump.  Is there a device that can sit in the water bath distribute heat instead?
  Cheeses and thanks for your help. :)
Nathan

Nathan

Spoons

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
   Any ideas about circulation pumps?  I expect there would be large variations with heat distribution.  I would prefer to not drill holes in the warmer for an exterior circulating pump.  Is there a device that can sit in the water bath distribute heat instead?
  Cheeses and thanks for your help. :)
Nathan

There is no circulation in this type of setup. Some food warmers only have a heat source on the bottom, so that could be a slight inconsistency. Pretty much everybody makes very successful cheeses in this type of setup regardless.

If you're looking for a water bath circulation setup check out my 8L and 16L vats. I posted this in your Beaufort thread:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10147.msg93356.html#msg93356
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12461.0.html

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »
Wow Spoons you are doing a very good job at changing my mind towards this kind of set up.  If the power is all there with sous vides this may be the best way to go.  An added bonus is the cooking options with it too!  Cheese to you with my thanks!
Nathan

Spoons

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
Wow Spoons you are doing a very good job at changing my mind towards this kind of set up.  If the power is all there with sous vides this may be the best way to go.  An added bonus is the cooking options with it too!  Cheese to you with my thanks!

Thanks! The funny thing is, if you are making a Parmesan cheese, you can put a vac-sealed steak in the water bath at the same time. You'll end up making an awesome parm and a delicious rare steak at the same time  ;)

IMPORTANT about sous-vide circulators (for cheesemaking) : Heater wattage and circulation rate are REALLY IMPORTANT. I would say the minimum for a 16L vat would be: 1KW heater and 12L/min circulation. The Anova and Sansaire both have those specs.

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

[/quote]

The funny thing is, if you are making a Parmesan cheese, you can put a vac-sealed steak in the water bath at the same time. You'll end up making an awesome parm and a delicious rare steak at the same time  ;)

[/quote]
Oh my God I had a good laugh at that one... but funny enough I may end up doing it!  Cheese making sure makes you hungry alright!

I fully understand what you mean about sous vide wattage.  I will definitely get a powerful one especially considering my thermo makes of 16 liters +.  Ar there options of even more than a 1 kW-12 liters per minute  output?
Nathan

Spoons

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
I fully understand what you mean about sous vide wattage.  I will definitely get a powerful one especially considering my thermo makes of 16 liters +.  Ar there options of even more than a 1 kW-12 liters per minute  output?

I only saw the Polyscience circulators (the higher end one) that has a higher output, but it's ridiculously priced at over $1000 if I remember well. But then again, I haven't shopped circulators since I bought mine last Fall.

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
Egad!  Ok I think a 1 kW will have to do the job.  I'll for sure be researching and shopping around first after I talk to the chef at my restaurant about it.
  Thanks for the help Spoons!  Really appreciated.
Nathan