Author Topic: First St. Marcellin: succesful  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
First St. Marcellin: succesful
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm so pleased to share my first St. Marcellin style cheeses with all of you! They are good, really good. I've never done before any kind of lactic coagulation, so I think it's a great result. I followed the Mary Karlin's récipe for St. Marcellin. At this moment the cheeses are 20 days old and maybe they have to start the proteólisis. I think they are not so soft than expected and I don't know how they will turn after some more weeks. I show you some pics, at 7 days old and at this moment. Opinions are welcome.
Thanks

Geodyne

Re: First St. Marcellin: succesful
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »
They look marvelous Albert. It's possible that these may not protealise. I recently bought a St Marcellin which seemed to have not been kept humid enough, and which was quite firm. It softened quickly on a piece of warm baguette though. I think I prefer them firmer compared to the softer versions.

I don't know about you but I really like the lactic styles and think I'll try St Marcellin soon.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:21:36 AM »
This is a cheese that I wanted to try but was hesitant.  Mary Karlin recommends putting in a small clay crock for aging.  Is this what you're going to do or just ripen in a mini-cave?   Looks like you have a beautiful start  :D and will look forward to hearing how it progresses.

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:59 AM »
John, tradition St Marcellin are quite runny beasts, hence the recommendation for a clay crock.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I bought a St Marcellin was to get my hands on a traditional crock, but if you can find little terracotta tapas serving dishes in a homewares store, they'd do equally well.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »
John, tradition St Marcellin are quite runny beasts, hence the recommendation for a clay crock.

That makes me more inclined to try this!!  Would you be so kind to post a picture of the crock?

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:15:04 AM »
That would be my absolute pleasure. Very small fingertip for scale.

Edited to add that if you'd like to see what a St Marcellin should really look like, I'd recommend you look at mgasparotto's thread from the 6th of December in this board.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:31:54 AM by Geo »

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
No, I don't use the traditional crocks for St. Marcellin. I only age my cheeses at the cave.

Thanks for all your comments