Author Topic: Gouda/Colby Defect  (Read 1477 times)

JimSteel

Gouda/Colby Defect
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »
Attached is an image of a recent "Large Gouda" I tried to make. ("tried" because it was a good cheese, but not Gouda) Followed the exact same recipe as I normally would (200 easy cheeses) but used 4 gallons instead of my regular 1 gallon.

The cheese was good, but came out "Swissy."  Some slight gas bloatage as it aged (10-12 celsius) and a definite swiss emmental taste.  This same thing happened when I made my Large Colby last year.  I have only made 2 cheeses of this size to date and they both did the same thing.  The only difference was larger volume and a different pot being used compared to my small batches.

Additionally, both cheeses had these tiny, hard, discoloured spheres in them.  They were few and far between and only found in the centre of the wheel where there was the most gas bloating.

Any thoughts?  If more info on my makes is needed I can offer it, but I'm hoping the picture will be enough.

jwalker

Re: Gouda/Colby Defect
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
What type of culture did you use , any P.Shermaii , that's what it usually takes for me to get that "Swiss" flavour.

Have you used Shermanii before , maybe cross contamination in packages of that and your cultures ?

Or some type of bacteria in the milk that produces similar results as Shermanii , like this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propionibacterium_freudenreichii

Have no idea what those little hard spheres could be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:11:02 PM by jwalker »

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »
Could those hard spheres be the start of crystal formations you would normally find in an aged gouda?

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
I can crunch on gouda's crystals but have never actually seen one.

JimSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »
 For both of my cheeses I used MA 011 from cheesemaking. com  ( Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris)
The Gouda also had a Flora Danica/Aroma culture put in.

Never made a swiss variant and have never had shermanii in my house.

I know it's hard to see in the picture, but the dots are perfect spheres.  I could cut them out with the tip of a blade and they maintain their shape against quite a bit of pressure.

Also, both cheeses were only three months old.  One was waxed and one was vacbagged with breathing periods every so often.

Thanks for the input... the plot thickens.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:49 AM »
I was reading on Cheesemaking.coms website and under the Flora Danica it says
"The culture will also produce a small amount of carbon dioxide gas and is therefore a good culture choice when a lighter texture cheese is desired. "
Maybe that culture is producing some gas?

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »

I know it's hard to see in the picture, but the dots are perfect spheres.  I could cut them out with the tip of a blade and they maintain their shape against quite a bit of pressure.

Cheese Pearls ?   ;D ;D ;D