Author Topic: Port Salut - Number Two  (Read 2480 times)

JimSteel

Port Salut - Number Two
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
I just had to share this one.  I've made my second Port Salut (Oka) and the results were great.  This cheese journeyed to 3 different cities with me over the Christmas break as I travelled to see relatives.  My father pitched in to do the washing when I was unavailable as well.  I finally cut into it a week after I got back and it was excellent.  My focus was to develop much less B.linens and keep the paste more firm than the last.

I think that Port Salut is going to become "my cheese."  I find washed rind cheeses are so much easier to manage than natural rinds, and the quality is better than any waxed varieties I've tried to make.  A  four week turnover is also quite a nice bonus.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Port Salut - Number Two
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:35 PM »
Well, isn't that amazing?! :)

I have written those same feelings about my Saint Paulin. Yes, pretty much the same cheese...the spelling is a little different. ;)
I have concluded that this is a really tasty, pretty easy, consistent, and quick cheese to make. Good stuff.

Yours looks great, Jim. A cheese goes on your side of the board. What recipe did you use?

Why am I not making one of these right now? ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JimSteel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:18:18 AM »
I just use the 200 Easy recipe and pretty much go with the flow after pressing.  I don't get too deep into the Science of cheese making with pH's and floc factors etc.  I want my cheese making to be an art rather than a science.  In fact I don't even bother paying attention to the RH or temp when these guys are ripening, just put them in a container in my cave.

I guess that's my "right brained science teacher" showing through.

And just so you know Boof, this was made with PH milk :P

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
And just so you know Boof, this was made with PH milk :P
Thought so...nice and snowy white. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
  I don't get too deep into the Science of cheese making with pH's and floc factors etc.  I want my cheese making to be an art rather than a science.   :P

Yes , I'm with you on that , my style too , ! ;D

That is a very nice looking cheese , a cheese to you for that.

You say it traveled around with you during the holidays , was that so you could continue the rind maintenance while you were away?
What a lucky cheese !

JimSteel

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
Yes, it was at a critical point and needed continuous love.  I even left the cooler beside the heating vent in the van for an 8 hour trip.  Luckily, the warming wasn't enough to destroy my tiny empire.