Author Topic: Cheese making process and timings  (Read 6841 times)

Juan Fries Widdat

Re: Cheese making process and timings
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
other than the one that was cryptorchid, which when,  I asked why he's chosen the name of a condition of an undescended testicle, appeared to get changed.

...and there's my morning laugh. Thanks K!

You're welcome!  It sure had me confused as a choice.  I think he said he'd used it on forums and no one knew what it meant....wasn't an issue in those instances.   ???

What's in a name? Anorchid by any other name would.....I think I'm relieved to know that it wasn't just another case of TMI..
...some people just don't think about names having meanings - i met a young girl named Latrina

jessie

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
thanks everyone, sounds like I'm right to stick to the recipe.. even if my friends and family think I'm mad to get up in the night to tend my cheese!

Once I get a bit more confident I might risk leaving it in the press overnight.  This would probably mean pressing it for 17 or 18 hours rather than the stated 12.  I can't really put it in the press later, as my cheese making window is earlier in the day - later I have a toddler to look after!

And george (MaryJ), nope, not RI, I'm in Wakefield, UK!

Matthewcraig

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
When I am going to make a cheese I sterilise everything the night before get up early and make sure I have the whole day to make the cheese  8)

debbielincoln

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Thank you for this, from another newbie.  I have learned to devote at least 6 hours to staying close to the kitchen on "cheese day". ANd using the timer on my phone if I need to walk away.
Juan Fries Widdat - are you the same on KFC? Hope I learn as much here as I do there!

Juan Fries Widdat

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
Thank you for this, from another newbie.  I have learned to devote at least 6 hours to staying close to the kitchen on "cheese day". ANd using the timer on my phone if I need to walk away.
Juan Fries Widdat - are you the same on KFC? Hope I learn as much here as I do there!
C'est moi. But lately I'm mostly on the tractor! And not enough milk for cheese - but agistry pays the bills! Isn't there an old saw about time and no milk or milk and no time? Something like that... I've got 2 first fresheners for June. Right now it's quark & mysost for the house, teach classes with mozz and ricotta. Repeat. And get that garden in. Did you find new England Cheese pumpkins?
DebbieLincoln - good to "see" you - you can learn a lot here - WHY is the part I always feel like I need to know - and what if -

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
"They say my motto should be pro cras tenere.
I'm gonna look it up tomorrow."
Once again you have turned up the corners of my mouth. It's all in the nuance. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »

Okay, now I'm curious.  What is KFC?  I thought it was Kentucky Fried Chicken but if "Juan" is there too it can't be what I'm thinking.  And Juan, what are you doing on a tractor?  All we have is snow here and I'm longing to think about gardens, pasture, etc.  And I agree with you about time and milk. 

And "Hi," to Boofer!  Haven't been here much and I miss you all!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
"Hi" back at you, Kathrin! :)

Maintaining a low profile, keepin' on...keepin' on. Life's distractions keep me on the sidelines for now.

Getting lots of rain today...and yesterday...and last week...and last month. No chance of flooding in my neck of the woods. Whew! :P Looking for Spring growth of some lush pastures so I can grab some sweet raw milk. 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
Good to see you back Kathrin.  Hope the does are doing well.  We have KFC's here is SC too but I personally perfer Bojangles.  Their Bo-Berry biscuits are (almost) as good as a descent brie  :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 12:07:15 AM »
Good to see you back Kathrin.  Hope the does are doing well.  We have KFC's here is SC too but I personally perfer Bojangles.  Their Bo-Berry biscuits are (almost) as good as a descent brie  :).

Hi John, I don't think Juan was talking about the KFC that is the fast food chain.  Not sure what it was but suspect another forum or something.
It's nice to be back but it's not for long I think......expecting baby goats any day now. 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:14 AM »
"Hi" back at you, Kathrin! :)

Maintaining a low profile, keepin' on...keepin' on. Life's distractions keep me on the sidelines for now.

Getting lots of rain today...and yesterday...and last week...and last month. No chance of flooding in my neck of the woods. Whew! :P Looking for Spring growth of some lush pastures so I can grab some sweet raw milk. 8)

-Boofer-

So, no drought for you, eh?  And by no flooding do you mean that you're not on low ground?  I love rivers but I can't imagine building/living where it's going to flood regularly.  I always choose mountains.  No flooding risks and no risk of getting bored since all snow and ice storms make getting home an exciting adventure!  Yeehaw!  We have so much snow still that walking through the woods to the barn I am 2-3' higher and having to duck branches I never have to duck under during the rest of the year.  Both livestock guardian dogs have sprained their front legs running at full speed and having a paw fall through the crust.  My 5' exterior fence is only 2 1/2 feet high right now and I'm lucky none of my livestock are interested in walking over the fence.  I lock them in at night since the coyotes are likely not as inhibited about that.  I can't let my pregnant goats out because it's total ice all round the exits and they have little chance of remaining upright given that they are wider than tall and not very graceful at the moment.  (don't tell them I said that) I am SO ready for bare ground.  I'm even done whining about the temps that don't get over freezing more than a day or so every other week.  Just bare ground would be nice about now even if it is in the single digits most nights.   :P

debbielincoln

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »

Okay, now I'm curious.  What is KFC?  I thought it was Kentucky Fried Chicken but if "Juan" is there too it can't be what I'm thinking.  And Juan, what are you doing on a tractor?  All we have is snow here and I'm longing to think about gardens, pasture, etc.  And I agree with you about time and milk. 

And "Hi," to Boofer!  Haven't been here much and I miss you all!

KFC is "Keeping a Family Cow" - another forum chock full of info and nice people.