Author Topic: Spruce Boards - where? And important?  (Read 8420 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Spruce Boards - where? And important?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Thanks, Dave, and Tiarella - man, that is a beautiful loaf, and your own home-milled einkorn at that!  A mill is the one thing I'm lacking - I like to do a lot of ryes, and given my wife's Baltic heritage, lots of black breads with cracked grains - but nothing to crack them with!

My son sings in our city's youth choir.  They've been selected as the only U.S. group to go to the International Youth Festival in summer, 2014, in Aberdeen, Scotland (I'm so proud of my boy!).  An early start is a Robert Burns dinner this weekend...and this French dude (I think I prefer Pav's "gallic bastard") makes French food so, shhhh....a "rustic loaf" and some "farmer's cheese" I'm donating to the cause are not a boule and some chèvre 8)

The boule:

- Paul

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 03:41:39 PM »
That is some beautiful loaf you've got there!!!  I'm growing small patches of three ancient wheats this year.  Planted late summer to harvest this year.  Bread from homegrown flour might rate up there with cheese from our goats!   :D

if you get to Scotland there is a place I'm partial to on one of the Hebridian islands.  It's the Isle of Gigha and a friend and former distributor of mine lives in the Baron's mansion (although he's got it on the market) and it is a very beautiful 26 bedroom B&B on fifty acres of beautiful gardens.  I guess it's a good bird watching place although I'm more into plant watching.  Google "Achamore House" and check it out.  Worth a stay there if you ever get a chance.  I got flown over there three times; the first time to do some ghost clearing and the other two times to teach.  I miss that place!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:29:50 PM by Tiarella »

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
That's impressive, Tiarella.  I buy local rye but get my wheat from KA, generally - it's AP mirrors what I know of the lower protein, Type 55 I'm used to working with.  Do you plan to market any?

Thanks on the Scotland ideas.  This is a huge step for us - our son is going, as a young man, unaccompanied by us.  This organization is fantastic and we know they are taking stewardship of our boys very seriously, still, for us this is a milestone.  Your description sounds incredible, will tuck it away as we hope to go as a family (my wife and I went to England some years ago, spent some wonderful weeks in the Cotswolds and points north...but Ireland and Scotland, we want to see, as a family).
- Paul

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
That's impressive, Tiarella.  I buy local rye but get my wheat from KA, generally - it's AP mirrors what I know of the lower protein, Type 55 I'm used to working with.  Do you plan to market any?

Thanks on the Scotland ideas.  This is a huge step for us - our son is going, as a young man, unaccompanied by us.  This organization is fantastic and we know they are taking stewardship of our boys very seriously, still, for us this is a milestone.  Your description sounds incredible, will tuck it away as we hope to go as a family (my wife and I went to England some years ago, spent some wonderful weeks in the Cotswolds and points north...but Ireland and Scotland, we want to see, as a family).

Go to that website www.growseed.org and see what cool info is there.  She sells seed I think also.  We helped here plant out seed from seed banks all over the world and although all were wheats there was such variation!  I won't have any to sell.......       Do enjoy Scotland when you go.  Here's some images of the place I recommended.  I think one of them is one I took that he wanted to use for his brochure.  He couldn't reproduce the shot for some reason....I guess because we have different cameras.   http://www.google.com/search?q=Achamore+House&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JODiUsrxEuW2sATahoCwAw&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1017&bih=946

Hey, wrong thread I know but this place says they sell used 5 and 10 gallon SS milk cans but I just don't see where.  You could call them. 
http://www.heritage-equipment.com/used/stainless-steel-milk-cans.html?p=2

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »
Wow, thank you for the heads up, Tiarella.  I know very little about primordial grains, except what I've read in some of the breadmaking bibles.  Very cool thing, what they're doing. 

Thanks, too, on the heads up on the s/s cans.  Will dig around. 

Paul
- Paul