Author Topic: Blue Mold on Gouda  (Read 3901 times)

SilSil

Blue Mold on Gouda
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »
I do not have a cave or fridge for my gouda so I'm doing the best I can to keep it at the proper temperature/humidity by using a cooler. 
I made it on Jan 1.  I chose to do an oil rind (not wax), and have oiled it (and salted in between) two times since.  I have been having slight blue mold growth which I have been scraping off (b/c of the improper aging conditions).  I had to leave it for 24 hours though and when I got back, there is a light white film on it.  Is this the start of a "rind" or is this a blue mold (or other bad mold) in the making? 

Also, what should I do?  Scrape off the white?   Oil it again?  Salt it again?  Brine it?  Any suggestions appreciated!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Blue Mold on Gouda
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
The easiest way to treat unwanted molds is to wipe it down with a salt and vinegar solution. The salt can be used as an abrasive for any stubborn spots.

-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »
Yeah, wax or cheese paint is a better Gouda solution. And even cheese kept in the expensive caves get mold on them, something we all have to deal with! Your job as a cheese maker is to promote the ones you want and discourage the ones you don't. I use a cooler too, actually two of them now, and mini-caves are a great solution to humidity and cross-contaminants.

SilSil

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:06 AM »
Thank you Digitalsmgital & Schnecken Slayer.  Any idea on how to determine if a mold is a "good" mold or an unwanted mold?  I don't want to wipe something away if it's supposed to be growing.  I'm imagining that this white film on the Gouda is a precursor to an unwanted blue mold.  Thanks for any help!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
 :) I am the least expert on the board, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but goudas are waxed, oiled, bagged, or painted before any nasties rear their ugly heads. The problem with wax is you can't see problems underneath. I waxed two of my three goudas, and one of them was caught leaking (weeping whey) after a month in the cave, right through the wax. You could smell something was not right. The wax came off, the problem corrected, and yesterday I cut it open after 11 weeks of affinage. My third cheese, my best one yet!

On my natural-rind cheddars, I brush the mold off weekly (or as needed), and take a salt water wash to annihilate anything blue, black, or grey. Orange, yellow, or white gets a free reign.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
Typically I don't think you want anything growing on your Gouda. I would clean it up, let it dry off, and then coat it to discourage any new growths.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

SilSil

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:23 AM »
Again, thank you both for your help! 

Schnecken Slayer, clean it up with vinegar and salt solution as Digitalsmgital suggests?  Or just scrape off the mold?  Also, you said coat it.  Coat it with what, more oil? I do not have wax to wax it.

Digitalsmgital, congrats on your third cheese!

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
Coconut oil is a good choice if you have access to some , it is more of a solid than an oil when cool so it tends to coat better.

And it doesn't seem to go rancid .

SilSil

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
Thanks jwalker!  I'll see about getting some.  I've been using olive oil.