Author Topic: Hello from Canuckistan!  (Read 1655 times)

Flound

Hello from Canuckistan!
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »
Thanks very much for all the information I've already gleaned from the wiki and the various threads. It's been invaluable and I truly appreciate the efforts of all involved.

As for me, I've been making fresh cheese for a few months now and just this weekend past did my first hard cheese make; a Caerphilly. A recipe suggested to me by Jeff Hamm to cut my teeth on and whose advice I relied heavily upon in this, my cheese infancy.

Look forward to chatting and learning more about cheese.

Flound

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Hello from Canuckistan!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Flound. Would you please update your profile for where in Canada you are? ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »
Welcome!  :)

I too have found this site invaluable, not only in knowledge but inspiring and fun. Are you near Vancouver?

Flound

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
I live in Nova Scotia, the opposite end of the country. I was, however, born in BC; William's Lake, to be precise. But I lived all over Canada at some point in my near 50 years on the planet.

In fact, it's a lot easier to say "I haven't lived in Saskatchewan or Manitoba" than list where I have lived.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
I live in Nova Scotia, the opposite end of the country. I was, however, born in BC; William's Lake, to be precise. But I lived all over Canada at some point in my near 50 years on the planet.

In fact, it's a lot easier to say "I haven't lived in Saskatchewan or Manitoba" than list where I have lived.

Welcome to the forum Flound , I lived in William Lake for about three years , both my boys were born there.
I lived on Dog Creek road , worked for BC Railway as a Brakeman.

Finally got tired of the -48° winters and left for Southern BC.

Flound

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:43:44 AM »
So here's the link to pictures and a rookie writeup of my very first aged cheese make, the aforementioned Caerphilly.

http://dylsexic.ca/?p=460

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
Ha! Your first effort (I mean second, after the first) turned out better than my fourth and fifth! But I am using home-made moulds and press, in my defense. Two presses? You are nothing if not ambitious!

A well-written blog! Kudos, Flound!

Flound

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
Ha! Your first effort (I mean second, after the first) turned out better than my fourth and fifth! But I am using home-made moulds and press, in my defense. Two presses? You are nothing if not ambitious!

A well-written blog! Kudos, Flound!

Thanks Didge.

Well, to be fair, I didn't set out to make two presses, but the plank of maple afforded me 4 pieces of wood. It seemed only fitting to make two presses - both of which I sealed with a mineral oil and beeswax mixture. For the first kick, it seemed to function remarkably well, and it appears to prevent follower tilting without any effort on my part.

I might sound knowledgeable there, but that's my woodworking background shining through and not cheese-making. :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
Congrats on your first cheese success! Love the blog and the title.

Calculating floc-to-cut is typically:
  • select the floc factor (x2, x3, x4, x5)
  • time at which the rennet is added
  • time at which floc occurred
  • elapsed time from #2 to #3
  • time to cut = (#4 times #1) minus #4
A cheese to you for your success and for brightening up the day. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

KatKooks

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Welcome to the site Flound....got any snow out there?  We are experiencing a winter here in ontario, like the ones I remember from when I was young!

Your Caerphilly looks very good.....better than mine I might say.

Love your blog....great writing!

Looking forward to more stories of your successes!

Cheers