Author Topic: Finally like Gouda  (Read 3732 times)

svetlen

Finally like Gouda
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »

Whole milk last season was in the experiments (recipes, leaven, and so on), in winter tasting of their labors. It turned out that the last four cheese Gauda turned out, as should the flexibility, but little salt and last cheeses made from raw milk. I already account was how much cheese was sour, was crumbling and bitter too, was but hope for a good result does not give to give up. Decided to do only from pasteurized, even high-quality raw milk can give an unusual taste. Some friends very tasty, but not for me. But we are nowhere in the sale of cheese made from raw milk, and don't even know what should be the taste.
Baby Gouda, maturation in vacuum pack, 3 months, the most recent of 7 liters.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Finally like Gouda
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
Svetlen, that's some beautiful plasticity, looks wonderful.  I'd say well done!
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
I already account was how much cheese was sour, was crumbling and bitter too, was but hope for a good result does not give to give up.

Crumbly and bitter sounds like an over-acidified cheese. When I make gouda, I only press between 4-6 hours. I don't press overnight. Some recipe books don't mention that.

As Arnaudforestier mentioned, the cheese in the picture looks great! If you want to reduce the holes, you can always do a light press in the whey for 10-15 minutes before the real pressing. You can also age it closer to 10C rather than 12-13C.

I love gouda! It's my favorite cheese. But I don't really like it young. The taste is very different at 3 months and at 18 months.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
Great job, svetlen! :)

Looks like you've solved your Gouda problem. A cheese to you for working through it and getting a decent result.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

svetlen

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
Thanks for your feedback! I hope for the 3 months of downtime gained experience not evaporate. Opened a new season Gouda cheese 25.01.14 of 8 liters, output 1155 gr, color 2 drops, lipase soft( experiments continue). Milk after calving 6 day. I feel milk had colostrum taste. . The problem is unknown destination pH, had no serum to measure. In the press 5.5 to 6 hours, now on drying. Now I'm waiting for bought in Artisan Geek several new starter and then I will compare the tastes of cheese from the leaven of the purchased houses and new.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »
Very interesting, Svetlen, keep us posted.  Artisan Geek - just bought several myself, as well as some spruce bark.  Glad to see Yoav is doing this!

Best wishes,

Paul
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »
Nice looking cheese! Which mould do you use? Adding mild lipase to a gouda is an interesting experiment. Let us know how it works out.

svetlen

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
Form 1-1.2 kg of cheese, 14.8Х13.2 cm height 13cm.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:39:29 PM by svetlen »

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »
A great looking result!  Well done.  A cheese to you for getting there by persevering. 

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
Svetlen , that looks wonderful , I wish I could get more of my cheeses to come out with that texture , mine always seem much harder , even though I have been pressing with less weights and shorter periods.

How much weight did you press with ?

A cheese to you for that effort !

Nice looking cheese! Which mould do you use? Adding mild lipase to a gouda is an interesting experiment. Let us know how it works out.

(I've put lipase in a few now (Gouda and Gruyere) , and it definitely adds flavor ,seems to ripen faster).

svetlen

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:35 AM »
The last four times when cheese of good elasticity pressing turned out was approximately such, but it were forms of baby гауда. Distribution of this weight went three times on three forms and once on two. Now I used this weight on one form that leaves I don't know as after 3 presses of serum any more wasn't.
1 press - 6 pounds - 15 minutes (under serum)
2 press - 9 pounds - 30 minutes
3 press - 24 pounds - 2 hours
4 press - 31-35 pounds - of 2 - 3 o'clock depending on рН serums final 5.5-5.6