Author Topic: White Mould problem?  (Read 889 times)

Kirkbybil

White Mould problem?
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
I have a six month old parm and a 2 month Manchego in my cave which had lovely pristine rinds which I had been oiling and were doing really well.

However, in the last month they have started developing a runaway white powdery mould. I have tried brushing it off and re-oiling but in a few days it is back. The cheeses, and my cave smell like a very damp room.

I have also got a bandaged Cantal with a nice mould growth i there, I get occasionally furry white mould on it but it brushes off easily.  I've had penicillin candidum goats cheese, a washed emmentaler and a few blues in there before  they got eaten at xmas.

Last weekend I emptied the cave and sterilised it with bleach solution but it came straight back.

I have brushed and washed with brine/vinegar, reoiled but it comes straight back.

Any suggestions?  As you can see from the single Parm, I could scrape it back to the rind but will it help or am I just being paranoid and should I leave it alone to grow? It's the smell that not nice, I used to have a nice cheesy aroma coming from my cave, now it's like a musty cellar.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:56:20 PM by Kirkbybil »

Matthewcraig

Re: White Mould problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
Have you tried wiping it with brine or a white vinigar?

jwalker

Re: White Mould problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Have a look thru this thread , itmay give some insight on how to keep mold away.

Not sure if it would really apply to your cheeses , but you never know.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10633.0.html

Or I would try washing with straight vinegar , then coating with coconut oil , pretty hard for mold to grow on or thru a good layer of that.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:25:05 PM by jwalker »