Author Topic: Orange-coriander-ale washed Trappist  (Read 3471 times)

Geodyne

Orange-coriander-ale washed Trappist
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:37 AM »
This is one of the recipes in Mary Karlin's book. Others have made this in the past. I wanted to try this as I've not yet made a washed curd cheese, and I'm intrigued by the idea of a beer wash. Inclusions were home-grown orange peel, freshly peeled and then dried in the microwave and then coarsely ground in the mortar with whole coriander.

Make was almost textbook except for the fact that I allowed the temperature to rise slightly too fast during the curd washing process. It's definitely one of the softer cheeses I've ever made, and with a surprisingly small yield: the cheese is not quite 300g, for a 4-litre or 1-gallon make.

I'm away from my notes at the moment, so notes and make details to follow.

This is still in the washing stage of affinage at the moment, being turned daily and washed with a Hoegaarden-brine blend with each turn.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Orange-coriander-ale washed Trappist
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
VERY interesting!!!  I'm very curious to see how this one does.   :)

By the way, if you're using Ksrlin's book did you know she's got a page or two of corrections for her book?  It's on her website but I remember I had a hard time finding it.  She doesn't make it easy to find.  I printed it out and tucked ot into the back of the book.  If you haven't done so I recommend it so you can avoid ruining cheeses.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Nice looking wheel, G! You must've really ground up the orange peel that gets applied after the first light press, can't see it in the photo. I want to try this one also, but only so much room in my ridiculous cave. :(

Looking forward to the results!

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:43:22 AM »
This photo shows the orange peel and coriander added after the first press more clearly. I tried to limit the amount of orange and coriander that got to the sides of the cheese, to reduce the risk of mould incursion.

Tiarella, thankyou! I was vaguely aware that there were errors in Karlin's book and that there must be addenda but hadn't gone looking for them as I tend to use her book for inspiration rather than following the recipes slavishly.

Ale-washed Coriander Trappist cheese

4 litres pasteurised, unhomogenised milk (3.66% fat, 3.4% protein)
1/4 tsp MM101
1 1/2 tsp freshly crushed coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp dried fresh orange peel, crushed
1/4 tsp CaCl, in 1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp rennet, in 1/4 cup water
2 tsp salt

I've let my notes slide during this make as I did follow Karlin's recipe. Basically, half the coriander and orange are infused in milk and allowed to infuse. It's then strained before being added to the rest of the milk. The make is a basic washed-curd then milled with salt, with half the curds being pressed, the rest of the orange and coriander scattered over the first press, and the rest of the curds pressed on top. The cheese is them soaked in ale and washed daily with an ale-brine wash.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It's two weeks old now, so I'll let it age for another month before trying.

High Altitude

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
I made this one, and it is one of my FAVORITES! Amazing flavor throughout, never mind in the middle of course. And the texture was beautiful, firm, creamy. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

I want to make it again soon, but will double the recipe. It was hard sharing it with others, being it was so small and so tasty. A larger make will make me feel less greedy, I hope  >:D.

You'll like it!  Nice job  ;D.

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
I think it was your post about your make that made me want to try this cheese, HA! And to buy Karlin's book, for that make.

Obviously this is only a small cheese, but if I decide I like it I will make the next one larger.

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
Geo! How did this one turn out for you? So curious....

Geodyne

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
I didn't post about this one. I must have opened a few all at the same time!

It was only OK unfortunately, but that was my fault. I aged this one too long natural-rind and had an infestation of wild blue along the orange layer, so lost a lot of the delicate flavour and was left with a slightly hard, slightly rank-tasting cheese. I haven't been deterred from trying this one again, but I'd age it vac-sealed or in wax rather than try for a natural rind next time.

High Altitude

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Geo. So sorry it didn't turn out as well for you as it did for me. I'm trying to remember how I aged it after the ale washing. I know it had a nice exterior after I cleaned it up (mold), and I may have covered it with the anti-mold plastic'y stuff or wax after that. Will make another as soon as I get some more Meso II, and double the recipe.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
the anti-mold plastic'y stuff
Yeah, I've got to get me some of that stuff! :D

Seriously, are there any decent experiences out there with this cheese? Sounds like something that might be appropriate for around the holidays. Within the next month or so would be a good time to start this cheese.

I'm not so sure of the Morbier-like middle though.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.