Author Topic: Stilton aging and mould growth  (Read 5584 times)

jwalker

Re: Stilton aging and mould growth
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
Yes that looks a bit like mine in some parts however today I took a tiny sample from the inside and it had the texture of a Camembert but also had blue lines and in the center was slightly crumbly while still having a Camembert characteristic, is this a problem?!? I did taste a bit and it is amazing already and as already stated it only has been ageing for a few weeks it has the flavour of stilton with the creaminess of Camembert, the only cheese I can think of that is close to it would be a Cambozola.

Some of mine have turned out that way too , maybe from some errant PC that softens the paste , but being as I like Cambozola , it's all good.
If mine go that route , I usually eat them at 5-6 weeks , otherwise they can start producing ammonia and can get a little strong.
I still haven't been able to produce a nice crumbly blue , like the Stilton I can buy , came close on my last one , and will keep trying.
Yours should be fine , if you don't mind the softer texture.
A cheese to you for the effort ! :D

Matthewcraig

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
Well it's been aging for about 5 weeks at 7-11C at 65-70% it's been rubbed in brine twice and gets aired about 5 hours every three days and thankyou very much jwalker oh and by the way anyone who was interested in the wine cheese I know a few of you a few of you have commented on this post I have uploaded updated pictures of it.

Geodyne

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »
I'm with jwalker. I'd suggest you try eating or vac-packing your stilton now.

Also, thanks for the photos on the umbriacco. I'm off to check those out now!

Matthewcraig

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
Ok thankyou and no problem

graysalchemy

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
Most of mine have gone that way with a very runny paste inside which detaches itself from the rind and the main body of the cheese. Still very tasty. I am just praying that the batch i have on the go at the moment doesn't succumb.