Author Topic: Pepper Gouda #1  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Pepper Gouda #1
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
I tried to make a 40 gallon batch of peppered gouda last night.  It worked fine until I pulled it out of the press this morning and found that the press released the pressure while I was gone last night.  I think that it will still be good but the blocks are not pretty.   

Spoons

Re: Pepper Gouda #1
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
40 gallons!!!  :o

It worked fine until I pulled it out of the press this morning and found that the press released the pressure while I was gone last night.  I think that it will still be good but the blocks are not pretty.   

The good news is that Gouda, unlike most pressed cheeses, doesn't require a long pressing schedule. If your cheese pressed anything above 4 hours you should be ok, as long as you have a bit of acidification going without going too low.

I don't have my notes with me, but I think I achieve a desired PH mark at around 5 hours of pressing.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
Yeah, they look fine!

Tell me about the pepper, I don't see anything in the photos.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »
I did one wheel with peppers.  It was a mix of dried habaneros chilies and cayenne peppers.  when I boiled them the smell was so potent it was hard to breath.  I had to open a window.