Author Topic: Cheddar raw milk, best  (Read 1602 times)

svetlen

Cheddar raw milk, best
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

Actually it is already the fourth cheddar. Tried different recipes " Cheddar mixing", "Cheddar recipe from Gavin Webber", "Cheddar traditional". The first was " Cheddar mixing" partially goat's milk in principle was normal was crumbling a bit, but I do not like the taste of goat. The second was a "recipe Cheddar from Gavin Webber" turned sour and was crumbling. The third Cheddar traditional" was also was crumbling and sour, despite the fact that accurately observed recipe. At that time I did not have a pH meter, and litmus paper only deception.
The first three starter bought we already poured into portions, that within the bacteria unknown.
Yesterday at last the turn of the fourth came, the term of maturing of 70 days according to the recipe "Chedder traditional" at production used crude milk and cheap рн meter. I thought if again sour, I won't do any more a chedder.
Hurrah, at last for the first time I liked on taste cheese from crude milk though to compare there is nothing but it is very tasty.   A little saltish taste with a sourish shade, texture elastic, flexible.   I know holes shouldn't be, but it doesn't disturb me. No doubt I will do more than once.
 Ferment differed from previous, the bought industrial packing for cheeses with a cheddarization structure:

Lactococcus lactis sp. lactis
Streptococcus thermophilus
Lactobacillus delbrueckii sp. bulgaricus
Lactobacillus casei sp. casei
Lactobacillus helveticus
Cheeses with a chedderization: like Kashkaval, Chedder, Suluguni, Colby, the Mozzarella Cheeses of the accelerated maturing.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:30:08 PM by svetlen »

JeffHamm

Re: Cheddar raw milk, best
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
Very nice!  I like the cheese curls, that shows off the great texture.  I wonder if it would be a good idea to cut your amount of culture in half when using raw milk?  It will have lots of native culture already, so you won't need to add much I would think.  Maybe that is the source of your sour taste problem?  I've never worked with raw milk so I'm just guessing here. 

Anyway, that's a good looking cheddar, so a cheese to you!  If you're looking for another cheddary type make, I would recommend the Dunlop recipe I've posted a few times.  I've had good luck with that.  Anyway, well done.

- Jeff

svetlen

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »

Hi,Jeff!   
The first three cheese were from pasteurized milk, culture portion 6-10 litres, and they were sour. I think because there was no measurement of pH meter, I don't feel what stage of the process.
And not the last role is played by that who Packed and loaded them these portions of cultures I do not trust them, in what conditions, what strain that is the big question. Now there is a cheese tasting of industrial packages that divide itself and the pH meter monitors the process. Results greatly improved, and the latter cheese is a delicious and not sour.

Culture 0.28 gr 12 liters of raw milk , pH decreased according to the recipe, so the number of I think in order.
Where to find the Dunlop recipe?

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:32:20 PM »
I find that it's quite easy to overacidify cheddars, particularly if there is to much culture present, so I agree with Jeff that you might be on the right track.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Hi svetlan,

Ah, ok, I thought all of them were raw milk.  Sounds like you've got it under control though.  Here's a link to the Dunlop make: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8953.0.html ; the milk is store bought, with 3.3% fat and 3.1% protein.  You add 1-200 ml of cream to that to get the p:f ratio closer to 0.8.  Also, make sure you use the amount of rennet that works for you and don't go by the amount I added, as your rennet may be a different strength.  The vegetarian stuff I have is really strong.

- Jeff

svetlen

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Hello Jeff! Thanks for the link, I will note, can I will try to make in the future. I like your detailed reports, are very informative and help beginners easier to enter the cheese world.