Author Topic: 2nd Caerphilly  (Read 5032 times)

Flound

2nd Caerphilly
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
So I started my second aged cheese today.

I'll get the notes posted after, but I wanted Jeff to know he couldn't stop the ricotta madness this time! I'll get the weight once it's drained, but I have two cheeses this time! Mwahahaha.... (Edit; weight after draining - 455g)

Here's my press with 20kgs, squishing my second wheel into hopefully delectable roundness.

My plan is to another Caerphilly tomorrow or Sunday, as this make went quicker and with a better idea of what I'm looking for, it seemed to go a lot smoother. Having a more appropriate rennet amount really sped up floc and curd cutting from the first wheel.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:43:36 AM by Flound »

Flound

Re: 2nd Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »
Caerphilly 3 14/01/31

10:00 left milk out to warm to room temperature

12:00 started warming milk to 32C. Beginning temp 20.6C

12:15 added 3 cubes buttermilk culture

12:18 temp 28.7C

12:22 temp 30.3C moving to water bath

12:30 temp 31.4C

12:42 temp 32.2C ripening started.

12:50 temp 32.4C

12:59 temp 32.3C

13:00 CaCl2 added, stirred bottom to top

13:13 temp 32.2C

13:17 2.4ml calf rennet added, stirred bottom to top for 40 seconds, floc timer started.

13:28 floc time 10:50 cut curd at 13:50

13:50 close to a clean break, but not there.

13:53 cut curds. Finished at 13:55 temp 31.5C

14:03 on stove, warming to 35C current temp 30.8C

14:34 temp 36.1C, moved to sink water bath (35.2C)

15:03 temp 35.2C

15:05 drained whey, set aside and started to warm to 90C for ricotta.

15:34 first press 10kg

16:04 removed from press, undressed, etc.

16:10 2nd 10kg press started

16:30 added 62ml apple cider vinegar to 92.3C whey, set aside.

16:42 removed from press, redressed in cheesecloth,

16:47 in to press at 20kg

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:56 AM »
Notes look good Flound.  And that's a good ricotta yield.  Very tasty.  I'm making a caerphilly tomorrow as well.  Our cheeses will have the world surrounded.  :)

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
Hot off the press, so to speak.

1550g.

Into the brine, me bucko!

Geodyne

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
It's looking good, Flound!

If you'd like to try to remove the cloth marks, try giving it a press without the cloth just before you put it into the brine.

Flound

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Geo.

I'll work that into the routine on my 3rd make, which I'm starting now. ;)

Geodyne

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:11 PM »
In that case, if I'm not too late, allow me to describe how I try to remove cloth marks.

After putting the cheese into the mould, I give the cloth a good tug all the way around the edges, to ensure it hasn't ridden down. I also often use a second cloth for the follower, if the mould allows, stretching that taughtly across the follower before placing it in the mould, and giving the mould cloth another series of tugs.

I find this system works well for my 5" and 8" wide moulds so that I rarely get cloth creases, but I struggle a bit with the 4" wide moulds because the increased curvature of the mould means more creases in the cloth.

After the pressing called for in the recipe, you can give the cheese another few hours in the mould (up to 12 at a lighter weight, foe Caerphilly) without the cloth to even out creases, or even dip the cheese in hot (60-70C) water for a few seconds before doing so, to soften and seal the rind.

Flound

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:03:19 PM »
So, out of the brine bath a few cracks have appeared. They weren't there going in, but I saw them as soon as I cracked the lid on the brine bath.

I'm going to scour the wiki for information.

Edit; 2 possible causes;

1) too acidic a brine. As this is the brine I used on my first, boiled and readjusted, I don't think its too acidic. But since my pH meter hasn't arrived yet, I can't say for sure.

2) I'd like to think I was gentle when I flipped it, but perhaps it was damaged then.

From the small number of cracks (2) and their location close to the periphery, I suspect the weight of the cheese, even though supported underneath, was enough to cause these cracks.

The question - I have the cheese under a bowl, air drying as we speak, but what is the recommended actions?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:14:04 PM by Flound »

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
I've had that happen sometimes too.  Probably just a weak fuse between a couple curds, or it can happen when you flip it because the cheese is still a bit delicate so it can tear, and as it sits in the brine, it becomes more noticable as it shrinks and pulls away from the rip.  It may heal in the cave.  If you're worried about mould getting in, just put some salted butter on it as putty. 

You've got the bug bad Flound! :)

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »
You've got the bug bad Flound! :)

- Jeff

I know. I have three caerphillies on the go and I would imagine I'll kick out another one next weekend.

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:47:18 PM »
With 3 caerphilly already ripening, you could consider making something that requires a bit more time for the flavour to come on, like Lancashire (which only takes about 2 months to be ready).  The caerphilly you can start eating in a week or so, and you'll have 3 wheels of the stuff.  Lancashire is quite similar in process to caerphilly, but it has a cheddaring step (i.e. let the slaps of curd sit in the warm pot, and flip them ever 15 to 20 minutes, over an hour or two - builds up the acidity).  Other than that, very similar make.  If you want one that requires even more time, try the cheshire or dunlop and age them out 6 to 8 months, or over a year if you want.  I've had good luck with the dunlop (I've only made my 2nd cheshire last week, but the first one was really good).

But, caerphilly is a good cheese, so it's not like it's a bad thing to have a bunch of them.  And, it can be aged out too.  I just tend to think of it as a young cheese.

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »
In that case, if I'm not too late, allow me to describe how I try to remove cloth marks.

After putting the cheese into the mould, I give the cloth a good tug all the way around the edges, to ensure it hasn't ridden down. I also often use a second cloth for the follower, if the mould allows, stretching that taughtly across the follower before placing it in the mould, and giving the mould cloth another series of tugs.

I find this system works well for my 5" and 8" wide moulds so that I rarely get cloth creases, but I struggle a bit with the 4" wide moulds because the increased curvature of the mould means more creases in the cloth.

After the pressing called for in the recipe, you can give the cheese another few hours in the mould (up to 12 at a lighter weight, foe Caerphilly) without the cloth to even out creases, or even dip the cheese in hot (60-70C) water for a few seconds before doing so, to soften and seal the rind.

Put into play, Geo.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12432.0.html

I must say, your tip worked exceedingly well. Best looking wheel of the bunch.

Flound

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
Cutting time!!!

A stronger smelling cheese than the first, with a typical B. linens smell. This wheel has a far more pronounced yellowing of the rind as well.

Texture was firmer and a bit crumblier than the first. Mostly, I suspect, because it was air dried significantly longer than the first.

Much more pronounced buttery/cream flavours, with a sharper tang than the first Caerphilly. A shade saltier, but not appreciably so. Acidity is in balance and a very slight bitterness on the finish.

Overall, a second success, I'd have to say. Which, with the length of time it was expelling whey, surprised me. As Jeff can attest, I wasn't super confident with this cheese. He's been urging me to let the 3rd Caerphilly age out and admittedly, when I thought it was going to be a bust, I was going to cut into its brother, whose three weeks is up tomorrow (I made this and the third back to back), but now, with the pleasant result, I'm going to wait on the third wheel.

I've got a half wheel, a quarter wheel and two little wedges vac sealed and resting happily in the cave. With the half wheel from the first, my cheese stockpile is growing! ;-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:15:14 AM by Flound »

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »
That looks pretty good actually.  The white mould is geo, and that is typical for caerphilly.  It can soften the paste just under the rind a bit too.  A cheese to you.

- Jeff

Spoons

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »
Nice cheese, Flound!

So, out of the brine bath a few cracks have appeared. They weren't there going in, but I saw them as soon as I cracked the lid on the brine bath.

I'm going to scour the wiki for information.

Edit; 2 possible causes;

1) too acidic a brine. As this is the brine I used on my first, boiled and readjusted, I don't think its too acidic. But since my pH meter hasn't arrived yet, I can't say for sure.

The last 2 brines I've made since I got my PH meter had a PH level around 4.0! I used the recipe here and the one in Caldwell's book (I haven't compared the measurements yet. Don't know if they're identical). So, yeah, I had to readjust and add baking soda both times.