Author Topic: Storage time of Sheep Milk  (Read 1160 times)

wnascimento

Storage time of Sheep Milk
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
As I was in doubt where to post this issue I used this topic. Excuse me if I was wrong
I am trying to learn as much as possible about cheesemaking, but, more I learn, more I discover that I know nothing.
As I have a small quantity of sheep milk per day (5 liters) and  I normally wait 3 or 4 days to accumulate a higher volume to making cheese.
During those 3 or 4 days I storage the milk into the fridge in a cool water bath at 4 to 7 °C.
From the safety point of view Is it acceptable? How many days I can storage the raw milk?
I understand that at this temperature the bacteria are sleeping, Is it OK
If I pasteurize the milk I can increase the number of days of storage?
Some time ago I pasteurized and then stored the milk and it creates a large quantity of cream on the top.
If I take out this cream, I am reducing the fat of the cheese. Is this way a correct one to have a light cheese?

Wallace

elkato

Re: Storage time of Sheep Milk
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:07 PM »
Hello Wallace
I am not an expert, but have been making sheep milk cheese for 2 years, I used to freeze the milk when I had to store it for more than 2 days, and I know many producers that do that and their cheeses are fine. I have read somewhere that sheep milk can be frozen without troubles because the fat globules are different than cow milk ,the Idea is to freeze as fast as possible for best quality.
 When you store milk in the refrigerator(4-7C) for more than 2 days there are bacteria that survive this temperature and decrease the quality(maybe 3 days is OK but not more)
Some cheeses are made taking the cream off, (hard cheeses that are aged for very long time) but most cheeses (blue, washed rind, semi-soft) are best with whole fat milk.
regards
Luis.

wnascimento

Re: Storage time of Sheep Milk
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »
Thanks Luis.
I will try to keep 2 days.

Wallace