Author Topic: Try this modified Cambozola recipe, it is my new favourite cheese.  (Read 2010 times)

cheeseslovesu

Well cheese lovers, I just had to share my modified version of Debra's 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes. I used her recipe and was not happy with it so I played around with it a little and I just had to share it with you. The photo I have attached is day 5 just before I pierced for the first time.

DAY 1
* Heat 3.4 litres non homogenised cow’s milk and 600ml pure cream to 30˚C.
* Add 1/8th teaspoon MA4001 starter (Mesophile) and a smidgen of penicillium Candidum (white mould powder) stir in for 2 minutes
* Add .7ml calcium chloride to 20ml unclorinated water stir for 1 min. Cacl gives a tiny bit better set on the curd.
* Leave for 15 minutes maintaining 30˚C.
* Add .7ml rennet to 20ml unclorinated water(optional) stir for 1 min
* Leave for 1 hour to set – if the curd is still too fragile, cover and let set for another 15 minutes to firm the curds up.
* Cut curd into 1.25cm cubes and let stand for 5 mins to firm up.
* Move the curd around the pot for 10 minutes until the curd starts to shrink in size and the edges become rounded.
* Ladle curds into larger hoops and drain for approx. 10 - 15 minutes then half fill the smaller hoops
then stand 15 minutes to drain. I used 4 camembert hoops for this quantity of milk.
* Sprinkle Penicillium Roquefortii mould powder (CB2) over the half filled curd. Continue ladling hoops with semi drained curd until the hoop is full.
* Cover and let drain for 6 hours then flip cheese and drain overnight.
DAY 2
* Remove the cheese from the hoops and place back in the draining décor tray and sprinkle each cheese with ½ teaspoon salt on both sides.
* Store your cheese in the décor containers at 10˚C – 13˚C for approx. 2 weeks turning every 3rd day until the mould has developed.
DAY 6
* 4 days later, once the cheeses are fairly dry, pierce cheeses all the way through in several places with a thermometer. Return the cheese to the container and continue ripening.
Day 12
* Wrap the cheese in cheese wrap and continue ripening. The cheese should be ready to eat in 4 weeks, once you are happy with the flavour then store wrapped cheese in the fridge at 4˚C.

Make sure your container does not have excessive moisture build up on the lid. The moisture will stop the growth of white mould. Wipe the lid of the container with a clean paper towel. You may have to air dry your cheeses for a few hours every day if you can see the cheese is a bit damp, the white mould would look patchy instead of consistently covered with white mould.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Try this modified Cambozola recipe, it is my new favourite cheese.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »
How is your recipe different than Debra's?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »
Been making this for a while.  Tastes great.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:09:48 AM »
The cream content in the book is half and half milk. It took so long to form a slight set in the curd and was really messy to drain before it all went into the hoops. The final cheese was like butter.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »
I've been using 2 gallons of whole milk and 2 pints of heavy cream.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos