Author Topic: My orange sourdough starter!!  (Read 4915 times)

andreark

My orange sourdough starter!!
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:00:57 AM »
I am making a Taleggio type cheese and my garage frig is too cold for BLs to grow.(or so I understand)  So I put the cheeses and their plastic box in my sourdough frig.....Now a week later, the cheeses are
still white.  But when I removed my starter to feed it, , , it was orange.  I don't really care if I get a 'stinky' loaf the next time I bake, but will the sourdough yeasts harm the cheese in any way?

andreark

linuxboy

Re: My orange sourdough starter!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:14:39 AM »
no, but if you do have an excess of yeast, you can start to get some off flavors. it's about concentration on the rind.

andreark

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
My kitchen bread frig is a large wine cooler.  I've moved my sourdough starter to the garage (temp there fine for a while).  Do I need to wash my kitchen frig?  I will keep the Taleggio in it till it ripens.

Thanks a bunch for your answer.

andreark

graysalchemy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
I find my sourdough can pick up a whole host of fauna if it is not looked after. Between use I keep it in the fridge but on one occasion I left it in a cupboard in the kitchen at room temp, not particularly warm we don't do warm here in manchester  ;), but when I went to refresh it mid week it had changed colour and was smelling rather like our springer spaniel, or should I say a wet springer spaniel. After throwing most of it and rejuvenating it, it was back to normal in a few weeks, actually better than ever.  :D :D

andreark

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't phrase my question well.  I was not asking if I should clean out the frig for future use with my
sourdough starters,  I was asking if I should clean it out for further aging of the Taleggio.  Will the SD yeasts
affect my cheese?

(I have been making and teaching sourdough techniques for years.  I realize that the bread starters won't be damaged.
They are VERY vigorous.)

Thanks,

andreark

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
The yeasts could well colonise your cheese, so I would recommend sanitising.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
The yeasts could well colonise your cheese, so I would recommend sanitising.
Yeasts are really not a big deal PROVIDED that there's enough of a population of b linens and other coryneforms to start growing quickly after the initial deacidification from the yeasts.

andreark

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
Sorry, linuxboy, but I don't understand what you mean. (Obviously a beginner)  I started this Taleggio 10 days ago and there is no sign of color.  When (and what is ) does this deacidification  take place? And how do I recognize it?

Thank you all for responding,

andrea

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:27:10 PM »
b linens requires the surface to have a ph of > 5.6 to start growing. Tallegio is typically 4.8 after salting. To get the pH up, yeasts consume lactic acid and make way for the b linens. If you do not have yeasts, b linens cannot grow. If you have too much yeast and not enough b linens, the yeasts will take over  and the b linens population will not be high enough to ripen the cheese properly.

You recognize it if b linens starts taking off (color and smell) after 4-6 days.

andreark

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:54 AM »
Linuxboy,

Thanks for answering.  I must have too much yeast, there is no orange color AND there are small white blotches like Camembert.  Yeast?

Thanks again,

andrea

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
2 related questions:  The taleggio recipe I've used called for "a pinch" of b. linens added with the starter and washing the finished cheese with a salt solution while aging to discourage unwanted mold and encourage b. linens.   How is the result different than using a corynebacteria / salt solution wash like you do for smear-ripened cheeses?  Also, if you use a b.linens wash do you need to replace it with a fresh solution every so often or can you let it sit in your cave and "ripen" along with the cheeses?  I've had my little b. linens brush-and-jar in my cave for over 6 months and add salt solution when it starts getting depleted.  Is this kosher  :-\ or should I be changing it instead of adding to it?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
John, I'd have to confirm, but I seem to recall Francois saying that is not only kosher, but desired.  My mistake if I've recalled wrongly, of course, but that seems to be the recollection.
- Paul

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
John , I've been doing the same thing , and it seems to be working.

I've been keeping my jar in the refrigerator , not sure if I should be leaving it out at cave temp or not though.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
John, found the Francois quote, from 2011:

It's supposed to be stinky.  As long as you use a clean cloth every time, keep the brine covered and in a fridge I don't see the problem.  I have no issue keeping solution for 3 months.  If it did get really nasty I would just boil it and redose, not make fresh.  I do this with brine as well, it gets better with time, even after boiling.

- Paul

jwalker

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
John, found the Francois quote, from 2011:

It's supposed to be stinky.  As long as you use a clean cloth every time, keep the brine covered and in a fridge I don't see the problem.  I have no issue keeping solution for 3 months.  If it did get really nasty I would just boil it and redose, not make fresh.  I do this with brine as well, it gets better with time, even after boiling.

So it should be kept in a fridge , that's good to know , I haven't been using a rag , but a brush instead , I do wash it out well after every use.

And as for the brine , I have been keeping mine out on the porch over the winter , it has been as low as -20 , I have an extra fridge that I will keep it in over the summer months.
I've had the same brine for about 6 months now , and it smells great , I think it really adds an extra dimension of flavor to any cheeses brined in it.
So far it is fine , but I may boil it at some point , if I think it needs it.