Author Topic: Hello from northern wisconSin  (Read 1223 times)

skf

Hello from northern wisconSin
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
  My previous experiences with making cheese from "kits" had ended in dismal failure, a year ago I found recipes with pH markers and as my confidence grew I acquired a kit from Steve at the cheesemaker.  The press arrived in December, since then I've turned out over #150 of cheese from the surplus milk produced by my cow Spot.  Back in January my wife asked when she was going to get to eat some of this cheese I had been making?  I asked her where the four gallon batch of pasta filata I had turned into string cheese went, she responded that she had ate it as lunches while driving to work. 
  I grew up when the Wisconsin countryside had local cheese factories and remember how the cheese used to taste, the milk came from small farms and cheesemakers wrestled milk cans. When the first batch of cheddar I made was cut the odor took me back to the North Marcellon Cheese Factory as Walt Balsiger would begin to stir the curd. 
  Now I can travel the world through the cheeses I make and never leave the farm.
  I request any advice or insight out there regarding the construction of a cheese cave, I have a 9X9' space with 9' ceiling in my root cellar to convert.  There is concrete walls on three sides.  The refrigerator I use now is overwhelmed and I see a need for more room next winter for cheese storage. 
 Thanks;
 Paul M. Griepentrog

John@PC

Re: Hello from northern wisconSin
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
  Now I can travel the world through the cheeses I make and never leave the farm.
  Hi Paul.   That is so well stated that I have to give you and Spot (does she chase rabbits  ;D) a cheese, as well as for crossing the 150# line.  I would advise searching the forum and issue follow up's on this or another thread to generate ideas.  Sounds like a great project to follow!

skf

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
John,
  No Spot doesn't chase rabbits, but has a fondness for apples and has been seen butting and rubbing the old trees to obtain windfalls. 
Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
I love your intro, Paul!  If you are ever going to be in the Menomonie area, I'd love to have you stop in - my home is an old cheese factory, circa late 1890's.

If I ever wend my way north as far as you, I'd like to meet you.  Best wishes to you - you're making a LOT of cheese!
Karen