Hello from Ontario, Canada

Started by KatKooks, February 09, 2014, 01:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatKooks

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the board and have done a lot of reading here already....this is a great resource.  I have just started making cheese in my home and have successfully made Halloumi, Cheddar, Parmesan, and something called Caerphilly.  ....and when I say successful, I mean that they look like cheese in my cave but I haven't tasted them yet and hope they are edible.  Thank you in advance for your insight!  Cheers! 

jwalker

Sounds like you're already off to a good start.

Always nice to have another "Cheese Head" here.

How old are your current cheeses ?

Welcome Kat.

KatKooks

Hi jwalker,  thanks for the welcome!  I am a complete newbie having cheeses that are only 2 & 3 weeks old means that I won't be tasting for a while.  The curds from my cheddar tasted pretty good but the Halloumi today was waaaay too salty....I need to step the brine back a bit.
Cheers

John@PC

Assuming that's your cave and the cheese in it are yours it looks like you're off to a great start.  Sounds like you weren't familiar with Caerphilly - I had never heard of it before either but it's now my favorite cheese to make!  Good luck.

KatKooks

Quote from: John@PC on February 10, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
Assuming that's your cave and the cheese in it are yours it looks like you're off to a great start.  Sounds like you weren't familiar with Caerphilly - I had never heard of it before either but it's now my favorite cheese to make!  Good luck.

Thanks John, that's actually hilarious because my first 2 batches went down the toilet!  Yes, the cave and cheese are mine but I have yet to taste any of my creations beyond the Halloumi and am excited to taste some success.

I bought this great book and the description of Caerphilly sounded awesome, so I jumped on that.  However, having no frame of reference as a comparison might make judging my success hard!

Cheers!

John@PC

Quote from: KatKooks on February 10, 2014, 11:58:49 PM
Thanks John, that's actually hilarious because my first 2 batches went down the toilet!  Yes, the cave and cheese are mine but I have yet to taste any of my creations beyond the Halloumi and am excited to taste some success.
I've had to toss a bunch of makes too but most if not all I could trace back to a distinct mistake I made.   If you can't wait for your cheese to hit it's aging target you may want to purchase a cheese trier so you can sample a portion with minimum damage to the cheese.   As for Caerphilly, I personally like it fairly young (6 weeks or so) because it's SO good and being the impatient person I am I can't wait ^-^!

JimSteel

Welcome Kat.  Nice to see another fellow Canadian on the boards.

Caerphilly is a good starter cheese because it can be eaten young, so you can try a variety of techniques with relatively quick feedback.  The others types are quite adventurous for starter cheeses.  I tried a whole lot of different cheeses out when I started(been making for a year), but have narrowed it down to 3 or 4 types that I can make fairly well and am trying to perfect.

Have fun and let us know how things turn out.

Spoons

Welcome to the boards, Kat! Caerphilly is quite popular here. I particularly like it melted, it melts so well! almost like a gooey mozz.

Kat, I don't know if you have access to raw milk, but whenever I see an Ontarian join, I refer them to Harmony milk. It's a great source of non-homogenized milk here in Ontario. Their 35% cream is non-homogenized. What I do is I buy 0% Neilson milk and mix it with 35% Harmony cream. I've had nothing but great results.

KatKooks

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of advice, guys. 

John, even 6 weeks is agony at this point!  It seems like making any more cheese before I've tried what I've created so far is kinda backwards but I'm gonna go ahead anyways.  I will look for a cheese trier on my next order.  TIA!

I figure I might as well try many different types, Jim, because everything I like to eat are blended cheeses.  I'm trying different ones to see if I can find the sweetness and texture that I'm aiming for in my target cheese and then make my own blend.  May or may not work!  lol.

That's a fabulous idea Eric!  Any idea where I could look for Harmony cream?  I like the idea of mixing milks to get closer to whole milk and hopefully make a tasty base in the process.

I'm doing my best to study and learn as quickly as possible but there are some concepts that are escaping me.  I am cautiously optimistic and hopefully I will have a tasty cheese soon to spur me on soon!

Cheers!

Spoons

Quote from: KatKooks on February 20, 2014, 12:29:42 AM
Any idea where I could look for Harmony cream?  I like the idea of mixing milks to get closer to whole milk and hopefully make a tasty base in the process.

Just use their Store Location function here: http://www.harmonyorganic.on.ca/store-locations/

I really like like mixing cream and milk. It's an easy way to standardize milk to the appropriate P:F ratio (protein-to-fat ratio) depending on the cheese you want to make.

Quote from: KatKooks on February 20, 2014, 12:29:42 AM
I'm doing my best to study and learn as quickly as possible but there are some concepts that are escaping me.  I am cautiously optimistic and hopefully I will have a tasty cheese soon to spur me on soon!

Sounds like you're having fun with this hobby. You can always ask around if you have questions. I learned more here than any other book resources. Hope to hear from more of your cheese adventures soon!

shotski

Welcome to the  board KatKooks

Quote from: Spoons on February 13, 2014, 04:31:45 AM
Welcome to the boards, Kat! Caerphilly is quite popular here. I particularly like it melted, it melts so well! almost like a gooey mozz.

Kat, I don't know if you have access to raw milk, but whenever I see an Ontarian join, I refer them to Harmony milk. It's a great source of non-homogenized milk here in Ontario. Their 35% cream is non-homogenized. What I do is I buy 0% Neilson milk and mix it with 35% Harmony cream. I've had nothing but great results.

is the 0% powder or liquid milk and how much 0% to 35% cream do you use?

Thanks.

Spoons

Hi Shotski,

You're from Ontario too so I'll share my exact milk concoctions:

16L of 0% Neilson skim Milk (the regular kind, not the "Trutaste" one)

Then I add Harmony's 35% unhomogenized whipping cream (it's also low pasteurized). The quantity I add depends on the cheese I'm making. keeping track of Protein:Fat ratio. So here it is:

Gouda/Havarti : 1.7L for a P:F of about 1.08
Jack cheese/Caerphilly : 1.8L for a P:F of about 1.02
Cheddar : 2L for a P:F of about 0.92

1.7L of cream for 16L of skim is a good place to start if you don't want to pay attention to P:F ratios. This is for the "Neilson-Harmony" mix only. Other brands may not have the same fat or protein content.

Hope this helps.

KatKooks

That's fantastic information Eric, thanks!  I looked up harmony and we do have it locally so I'm going to give it a shot.

shotski

Quote from: Spoons on February 21, 2014, 04:32:05 AM
Hi Shotski,

You're from Ontario too so I'll share my exact milk concoctions:

16L of 0% Neilson skim Milk (the regular kind, not the "Trutaste" one)

Then I add Harmony's 35% unhomogenized whipping cream (it's also low pasteurized). The quantity I add depends on the cheese I'm making. keeping track of Protein:Fat ratio. So here it is:

Gouda/Havarti : 1.7L for a P:F of about 1.08
Jack cheese/Caerphilly : 1.8L for a P:F of about 1.02
Cheddar : 2L for a P:F of about 0.92

1.7L of cream for 16L of skim is a good place to start if you don't want to pay attention to P:F ratios. This is for the "Neilson-Harmony" mix only. Other brands may not have the same fat or protein content.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Eric, I have not followed the p:f ratio I have only watched the % of milk fat ie the whole unhomogenized milk I get is 3.8% mf. Is this the same thing or do I need to do some reading on protein fat.
Thanks  John

Spoons

Quote from: shotski on February 22, 2014, 01:51:35 PM
Thanks Eric, I have not followed the p:f ratio I have only watched the % of milk fat ie the whole unhomogenized milk I get is 3.8% mf. Is this the same thing or do I need to do some reading on protein fat.
Thanks  John

Making cheese with whole milk, whether it's 3.25% or 3.8%, is perfectly fine. Using unhomogenized milk is already a big upgrade from regular store-bought milk. Paying attention to P:F ratios is just fine tuning (for a hobbyist anyway).

So, paying attention to P:F ratios is really not a necessity for a hobbyist, as long as you have a good source of fresh milk. It's just one of those things you decide to tackle if you want to step it up a notch.