Author Topic: Hello from Ontario, Canada  (Read 7135 times)

shotski

Re: Hello from Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Eric

Flound

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and words of advice, guys. 

John, even 6 weeks is agony at this point!  It seems like making any more cheese before I've tried what I've created so far is kinda backwards but I'm gonna go ahead anyways.  I will look for a cheese trier on my next order.  TIA!

I figure I might as well try many different types, Jim, because everything I like to eat are blended cheeses.  I'm trying different ones to see if I can find the sweetness and texture that I'm aiming for in my target cheese and then make my own blend.  May or may not work!  lol.

That's a fabulous idea Eric!  Any idea where I could look for Harmony cream?  I like the idea of mixing milks to get closer to whole milk and hopefully make a tasty base in the process.

I'm doing my best to study and learn as quickly as possible but there are some concepts that are escaping me.  I am cautiously optimistic and hopefully I will have a tasty cheese soon to spur me on soon!

Cheers!

Welcome from a fellow noob.

I've got 3 Caerphillies under my belt and under direction of the good Doctor Hamm, I've tried two at just over 3 weeks. Granted, I'm aging halfwheels of both out a bit farther, but maybe it's just luck, but both have been quite delicious at 3-4 weeks. Downright yummy, actually.

Vive la cheese

KatKooks

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

I've got 3 Caerphillies under my belt and under direction of the good Doctor Hamm, I've tried two at just over 3 weeks. Granted, I'm aging halfwheels of both out a bit farther, but maybe it's just luck, but both have been quite delicious at 3-4 weeks. Downright yummy, actually.

Vive la cheese

I am so afraid to try my cheese.  Don't get me wrong...I am excited, but all of my curds taste the same...bland and boring.  I sincerely hope that some serious flavour develops over time because if not, I'll have to post all my makes individually and get advice from you on what I'm doing wrong.  YIKES!  ...crossing my fingers!

Flound

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Meh, you couldn't have been more worried than I as my curds were just as flavourless and uninteresting as you say yours are.

Yet so far, the two I've tried have been delicious. And everyone that's had a piece has echoed that sentiment. Fyi, I make sure they try it in my presence and you can see the interest and/or skepticism turn instantly in wonder. Too hard to fake that.

To be clear, I'm not saying that as a boast, because really, I didn't know what I was doing except following the great advice and hard lessons by the great group of folks here. On the shoulders of giants, I am.

Which is funny, in a sense, because I feel like I know them, having read all their stories and interactions, but to them I'm a relative stranger.

To cheese!

John@PC

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
I am excited, but all of my curds taste the same...bland and boring.
  That does raise an interesting question: are all fresh curds (i.e. the ones that drop on the mat when you're packing your mold) bland and boring?  I've never really tasted much difference - they're good, but compared to the end aged product they are rather bland.

KatKooks

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 02:09:33 AM »
That's reassuring Flound!  I will let you know when I finally taste....my first should be ready at the end of the month.

My curds are definitely nothing to write home about, John.  Honestly I would never eat them typically because they are really so very bland.  Time will tell.

Spoons

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:51 AM »
My curds are definitely nothing to write home about, John.  Honestly I would never eat them typically because they are really so very bland.  Time will tell.

Don't worry about the taste of the curd. It's not supposed to taste anything. It's unsalted and the cultures haven't had the time to acidify and develop taste yet. They practically all taste the same but they do have a difference in texture depending on the type of cheese you're making (firmer for a hard cheese for instance). So don't worry about it. Tasting a curd will NOT tell you how your cheese will turn out.

KatKooks

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »

Don't worry about the taste of the curd. It's not supposed to taste anything. It's unsalted and the cultures haven't had the time to acidify and develop taste yet. They practically all taste the same but they do have a difference in texture depending on the type of cheese you're making (firmer for a hard cheese for instance). So don't worry about it. Tasting a curd will NOT tell you how your cheese will turn out.

That is very reassuring...Thanks Eric!!
Cheers