Author Topic: howdy from n ontario..sudbury area  (Read 2510 times)

zeker

howdy from n ontario..sudbury area
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
just logged in and reading reading reading.. lotsa good info here and glad to see so many canucks.

never made cheese b4 but used to milk a jersey and we made our own butter.. cant fathom why cheese never entered into the picture back then? duh..

my biggest concern rite now is getting raw milk.. altho I am surrounded by mennonite farmers, they seem to be hesitant to even discuss raw milk.. pose i cant blame them.

I did learn recently that if I ask for it for petfood, I mite have a better chance.. will try that.

I live somewhat rustic (no running water) so, I,m sure, sanitation, will be a challenge.

mostly interested in cheddars

cheers

Spoons

Re: howdy from n ontario..sudbury area
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
Hi Zeker, welcome to the forum. Raw milk is a touchy subject in our neck of the woods. I guess the Mennonites are being cautious. This forum has helped me greatly in making cheese at home (better than any book on the market IMO).

As for sanitation, I would suggest Star San. It's an acid based sanitizer. Just clean everything with regular water and dish soap like you normally would. Once dry, dunk everything in a mix of star san and water for 60 seconds and let air dry. You can even sanitize your kitchen with that stuff in a spray bottle. Safest and simplest way to sanitize IMO.

Good luck and have fun making cheese  :D

DrChile

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »
Hi!

Offer those Mennonites some cheese from their raw milk.  We mennos love a good trade...

Trent

KatKooks

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Welcome to the site!

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Howdy Zeker.  Like Spoons said raw milk is a bit of a conundrum.  I tried it but now am sold on a locally produced low temperature pasturized, non-homogenized milk.  It's reasonably priced and makes great cheese.   In Gianiclis Calwell's wonderful book "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" she has a sidebar where she discusses milk that says "Raw Milk: Don't be Niave" and goes on to say that she has less of a concern for bacterial contamination from the environment than she does for the "passing of disease of disease from animals to humans".  I know as much about milk contamination as Elsie the cow know about glue  ???, so heed the advice of others here (and you as well as an ex-milker).  Best of luck in your sojourn, raw milk or not.

Offline tapper of spines

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
my biggest concern rite now is getting raw milk.. altho I am surrounded by mennonite farmers, they seem to be hesitant to even discuss raw milk.. pose i cant blame them.

I did learn recently that if I ask for it for petfood, I mite have a better chance.. will try that.

Long time lurker here.  My cheeses are so embarassing that I can't even bring myself to take a photo.  I'll get there, one day.

Raw milk is expressly illegal to sell, or give away, or trade, in Ontario.  No cow-shares either.  Sadly, this is a law that is actually enforced:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-raw-milk-farmer-fined-9k-1.1108091

But as you noted, it is legal to sell milk for non-human consumption.  Thus, the Menonites could sell it to you for your pets.

TOS