Author Topic: Munster Deux  (Read 2319 times)

Flound

Munster Deux
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
Undaunted by yesterday's careeganing out of control, I launched into the 2nd Munster.

Munster 2  14/03/08

4 litre Baxter whole, 1 litre Baxter 10% blend cream brought to room temp 22.1C
0.25 tsp CaCl, 1.25 ml rennet, both in 60ml distilled water

3:55 temp 23.2 CaCl added, culture added, 1 cube buttermilk, 3tbsp creme fraiche

4:16 ripening temp 32.1C

4:44 rennet added timer started.

4:55 11:20 floc time...expect to cut curd at 5:30 temp 32.3C

5:32 cut curds

5:35 gentle stir for 15m temp 32.0C

5:50 let curds settle for 30m temp 32.6C

6:05 temp 33.2C

6:24 drain whey, ladle curds into cloth lined colander.

6:30 put colander in pot for warm drainage. 30 min drain.

7:00 removed from colander, transferred to molds (2 petit tommes) siting on an inverted bowl with lateral chopstick support to prevent tilting, 5 side plates as press weight. Above warmed water.  Finished at 7:10

8:19 flipped

10:27 flipped

Next day daylight savings, spring ahead

3:15 flipped

5:30 flipped

9:40 flipped, no more whey, placed into cave.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:47:19 PM by Flound »

JeffHamm

Re: Munster Deux
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
That looks really good Flound.  When you wash with the brine, you want to break down the surface a bit and work up a schmier.  That will, hopefully, fill in the cracks a bit.  Might take a couple days, but be firm without cracking the cheese.  It's a feel thing I suspect.  How much does it weigh?

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:41:36 PM »
Don't laugh, but 325g and 310g.

I'm not having these age out past 3 weeks and I needed my big mold hence Munster Deux.

My PF ratio was a bit light, I had no B. Linens to add and I needed my Tomme mold for the Rum Caerphilly. So I figured I could afford to experiment with a 5L make with $7 of milk.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:32:20 AM »
Hi,

Those should ripen faster, being smaller (ripe in about 5 weeks).  Munster comes in two sizes, the smaller being around 300g, so these are fine.  Even 600g would be at the upper end of the smaller sizes.  Anyway, you'll want to age these in more humid conditions than your caerphilly, so close the lid of the ripening boxes.  Keep the cheese up off the bottom away from the water that collects there.  Should be fully ripe in 5 weeks.  Mine were a bit young at 3 weeks, but not bland.  Play it by ear, or try one of them around 3 or 4 weeks, and judge the 2nd based upon that. 

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:01 AM »
Tragedy.

While smearing one of wheels yesterday, it was apparently too schmearey as it slipped out of my hand and hurled itself at the floor.

Three distinct and irreparable pieces.

Tried the paste since it was, well, available. Some flavour but not much. Nice texture, though.

The dogs liked it.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:14:38 AM »
Hi,

A cheese for your loss.  Yes, the schmeir does get a bit slippy!  (I know the word is slippery, but I'm from Pictou County, and we say slippy, so get used to it! :) )  Fortunately though, you made two, so, pending further disasters, all should go well.  Early on it is very mild, but the texture should be pleasing.  Sounds like you're on target.

- Jeff

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
Tragedy.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day, but munster deux happens.

Have a sympathy cheese from me as well.  :(

Flound

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »
Thanks for the words, fellas, but its even worse.

I went to check on the cheeses when I got home from work today , only to find the door to the cave ajar and a RH of 40%.

Caerphilly, Lancashire, Romano and baby bries all okay.

The last Munster? Cracked in two places...

JimSteel

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:38 AM »
Ouch, sounds like the cheese god's are trying to tell you something :(

Hopefully you can just schmear it back together and seal the cracks?

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:47:44 AM »
Doh!  Still, cracks can heal up once the moisture levels get back to where they should be.  The washing will also help to seal them over.  If you've not eaten the cheese already, that is!

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
I don't think this one was going to heal up so much. It's even more pronounced on the underside. I'm beginning to suspect Cheesus doesn't want me to make a Munster yet.

The first batch was a fail, the first wheel of the second batch killed itself and this one has seeming died of a broken rind, distraught over the loss of its partner...

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
I would give it some hand to mouth muncheration (tongue in cheek) ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/