So I made a Muenster on the same day JeffHamm did. Total coincidence. He encouraged me to post my make and forthcoming procedures. I'm quite excited to see how these Mu(e)nsters all turn out, John's included. I'm at a great disadvantage with my P-H milk, but have high hopes.
4L Pasteurize Homogenized whole milk.
1/8tsp meso cultures
1/16tsp B. Linens
CaCl, I just toss some in...
Rennet (1.25ml double strength veg rennet)
1tsp non-iodized kosher salt(for rind)
brine for washing (will be 5% concentration, with a pinch of B. linens)
1) Raise to 32C, add CaCl, innoculate with cultures.
2) 5 minutes for cultures to set. Stir
3) Add rennet, diluted in 1/4cup water
4) 40 minutes for rennet to set (hold at 32C)
5) Cut to 1.5cm cubes
6) Rest 5 mins, stir slightly, rest 5 mins (need to be careful with P-H milk)
7) Raise curds to 38C over 25 minutes (that's just over 1 degree per 5 minutes)
Cover and rest, 10 mins
9) Drain whey, pour into cloth lined collander
10) Drain 30 minutes (9:57 - 10:27)
11) Place in mold without cloth.
12) flip every 20-30 minutes. after 5 flips, leave it for 24 hours.
13) Sprinkle each face with 1/2 tsp salt and place in cave.
14) After 3 days, begin washing cheese. I usually wash 1 side every day and flip.