Author Topic: Nacho Cheese Recipe  (Read 4170 times)

Spoons

Nacho Cheese Recipe
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:46 AM »
"Ewwww... Processed cheese recipe?!?! Spoons, why would you cross that line?!?!"

Lol! Yeah, yeah... So what. It's a processed cheese recipe, but no one can deny the awesomeness of a great tasting nacho cheese.  ;)

Here are the ingredients :

300g Homemade cheese (usually a sharp cheddar)
300g milk
4g     salt
12g   Sodium Citrate... Available on Amazon.com
1.5g  Sodium hexametaphosphate, (SHMP)... Available on Amazon.com
50g   Pickled Jalapenos

Nacho Cheese

John@PC

Re: Nacho Cheese Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
"Ewwww... Processed cheese recipe?!?! Spoons, why would you cross that line?!?!"

Not a lot of bites yet?  ???.   I found your post interesting as I want to improve my cheese sauce making ability while at the same time make it a little bit simplier with less of a mess with double boilers and all.  I'm getting some good results that I'll post in another thread (still need to research all of the good information to date on the forum first).  What I did want to mention here is that while a lot of home cheese makers may not have sodium citrate on hand we probably have citric acid.  Making sodium citrate from citric acid is easy and kind of fun in a Mr. Wizard sort of way:

Making a (tri)sodium citrate solution for cheese emulsification (enough for 300g cheese):
1.  Dissolve 2 tsp. of citric acid in 1 Tbs. water in a small glass.
2.  Add 2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda a little bit at a time.
3.  The  sodium bicarbonate will react with the acid (i.e. fizz and bubble)
4.  Stir until all the  sodium bi-carb has been reacted (fizzing stops).

You can evaporate the water using a microwave or keep it as a liquid in a small medicine bottle in the fridge.  To help emulsify each 100g of cheese add 1 tsp. of the sodium citrate solution / powder along with the milk, salt etc before you place the poly bag into the hot water.  If you don't have SHMP on hand you can put a half slice (4g) of processed cheese like Kraft singles. 

WARNING:  I'm not a chemist and may have the mole ratios off, and I'm not a producer of processed cheeses but it's simple and works for me :).

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:50:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing the tri sodium citrate solution, John. Once I get into cheese sauces, I'll give it a try.

My next caerphilly is doomed to become a cheese sauce experiment. Tex-mex flavours are always good, but I'm thinking of also trying cajun, jamaican jerk, spinach and Indian, blends. 

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
I used my last caerphilly with chives for my testing.  Used most of it last night with (of course) nachos and doing some "toasted-cheese on tortillas" experiments.