Author Topic: Mold Issue  (Read 285 times)

Offline brewbush

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Mold Issue
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
Hi all, brand new here and about 6 cheeses under my belt.

My issue right now seems to be mold.   1 month ago I made farmhouse cheddar and waxed them after 1 week out for drying.  I noticed they both have dark spots under the wax with mold (opened one up)   It was just on the surface, I cut the areas off and vaccumed that one, but my other one is still waxed.

I also have a parmesian that daily I have to wipe off with brine/vinegar solution and scrape off the little bits of black/blue mold spots (majority are just white tufts).  All wipe off very easily, but this is an every 2 day job.

1. Is this normal, and is there something I can coat the parms with to prevent this?  I am not at the oiling stage in their aging.
2. Is there something I should do to the cheddar prior to waxing?  I double boil the wax, so it is not super high temps.   Should I wipe the cheese down first and dry before wax even if I didn't notice any mold prior to waxing?

3.  Where do I buy the cream wax I have been reading about?  Any good online sites?  My regular ones do not carry it.

4.  What should I do about the mold under the wax now?  Unwrap it, wipe it down and rewax? 

My fear about rewaxing as I noticed in my parm is that I think it will just grow back under the new wax too...

Any other suggestions or info please let me know

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline mnml

• chzmkr
  • Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Look, the needs of the many - something. StarTrek.
    • Unrelated...
Re: Mold Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
In my first dairy plant job, we used to apply a spoonful of this powder, Delvocid, to a tub of warm water, just before vacuum sealing it. Some (20 lb. Cheddar blocks) would rarely emerge with some funky green-ness going on, and it would be sold as fish bait. The majority emerged with no issues, and were even cut, waxed, and re-vacuum-sealed to success.

After that hard, minimum-wage opportunity, vacuum-sealing would be a first choice over waxing, for me. The operation I currently work for is more artisanal and local, and we neither vacuum-seal or wax, so blue is a real consideration throughout our aging process. Once again, we ended up with some Delvocid, this time in liquid form, but have not had 100% success. Our older wheels with blue 'stains' are essentially not growing blue anymore, but our newer wheels entering the room are distinctly prone to it. I am slowly coming to accept it may be rind-formation related.

We used to use some thin-flat cheesecloth for this cheese, but now use a thicker, burlap-like one that leaves more of an indention... seemingly, this allows more 'trapped' water which I think encourages blue growth. Also, if a cheese was not pressed enough, and has large pockets from partially-knitted curd, that is just asking for blue growth.
“This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Alan Wilson Watts