Author Topic: Gruyere  (Read 2694 times)

jwalker

Gruyere
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
So here's what happens when you use this recipe for Gruyere and coat/wax it instead of washing the rind.

Like I said before , I work on the road a lot and don't have time to maintain washed rinds , so I tried this recipe

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12087.0.html

And coated and waxed it , turned out very good , quite mild , but beautiful texture.
I basically followed the recipe very closely and pressed with 10 lbs in a 7 inch mold , works out to about .26 PSI , very light.
A few holes due to gas pockets , and very pliable texture , melts nicely , all in all , really nice.

This one was made on Nov. 2 2013 and I have vacuum bagged the rest for further aging.

I also made one with a washed rind , and let the rind develop for three weeks or so before coating and waxing , (ala Boofers suggestion) , I will open that one soon and report back in this thread.

I currently have four of these aging , thanks again to SouthernCheese for posting this recipe.

This recipe is extremely good for anyone who only has access to P/H milk , as it needs extremely small curds , which is pretty much all you get when using P/H milk , at least in my experience anyway.

John@PC

Re: Gruyere
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
That is one beautiful cheese / paste / rind!  A cheese for the hat-trick  ^-^.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »
This recipe is extremely good for anyone who only has access to P/H milk , as it needs extremely small curds , which is pretty much all you get when using P/H milk , at least in my experience anyway.
  I understand from the forum posts that Canada is very strict on purchasing raw milk.  Do you have access to LTP/NH milk there?  What little bit of cheese I make now that's what I use and the curds are quite nice - much better than P/H.

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
  I understand from the forum posts that Canada is very strict on purchasing raw milk.  Do you have access to LTP/NH milk there?  What little bit of cheese I make now that's what I use and the curds are quite nice - much better than P/H.

Yes , the laws are very strict here , technically , farmers can't even GIVE raw milk away in BC.

I live right on the Border , so I shop a lot in Bonners Ferry Idaho , only about an hours drive , I can bring LTP/NH milk and even raw milk into Canada.

So I do that for most of my cheeses as well.

Thanks for the cheese. ;D

Matthewcraig

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Incredible looking cheese there might follow that recipe and make one soon  :D