Author Topic: Come on! NO other cheesemakers in Wisconsin?  (Read 7329 times)

MrsKK

Come on! NO other cheesemakers in Wisconsin?
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
Maybe only after the apocalypse!  I guess I'm just the first to post here.  Just found it myself.

I'm located between Menomonie and Boyceville.  About an hour from the Minnesota border and just north of I-94.

Anyone else from the original Dairy State?

Boulderbrewer

Re: Come on! NO other cheesemakers in Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:22:19 PM »
I guess, I don't make it to the forum as often as I should. ::), I'm in Boulder Junction. ;D

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
Wow, Boulderbrewer, you are WAY up in the North Country!  I'd never heard of Boulder Junction and had to do a search.

What kinds of cheeses do you make?

Boulderbrewer

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:35:59 AM »
I've only made Queso Blanco and Farm House Cheddar, the goats are not producing enough milk. Although I do get more cheese than the recipe states per gallon of our goats milk. I really hate buying patsturized milk to make cheese.FWIW

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 03:42:40 AM »
I'm not from Wisconsin but I have family from Stevens Point, Nekoosa and Wisconsin Rapids. Hope to pop out there in a few months.

McCreamy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
I'm not too far from you, I'm in Chippewa County!

wharris

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:08:07 AM »
I have a brother in law that lives in Menomonie.  North of 94.  Off of county road J. I get up there once a year.
Love that place...

He builds milking parlors...

mightyjesse

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
I'm in Mad-Town. :)

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
McCreamy,
What kind of cheeses do you make?  Have you found a local source for supplies?  I have yet to visit Cap and Cork in Eau Claire, but have heard that they have some cheesemaking supplies as well.

Wayne,
You'll have to let me know next time you come up.  I live less than a mile away from County Rd J and take a bit of that road to drive to work.

There's someone putting in a winery on J now.  I think the vines have been there for maybe a year and they started building the facility this past summer.  I'm in awe.

McCreamy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
I have been making lots of cheese curds lately (and am glad that I don't have to explain them to anyone on this board), but I've also made cheddar, parmesean (which I need to try, but am a bit scared to after my first aged cheddar attempt), cream cheese (I really should have started with this instead of cheddar, WAY easier), and I am thinking about making some queso blanco for a friend of mine for Christmas too. I'm pretty new to all of this myself. I do go to Cap n Corks in Eau Claire. The owners are GREAT!!!! They do have some cultures, and rennet, and cheese cloth, and thermometers. Otherwise, its pretty much beer and wine stuff. They get their stuff for cheese from newengland cheesemaking supply company. Oh, they have sanitizers and cleaners too. I like going there, they do have fabulous wine too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:41:01 PM by McCreamy »

McCreamy

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
Oh, I've made Mozzerella too, but just the 30 min one. I wish that there were cheesemaking classes in our area. I find it kind of odd how hard they are to find in our area.

hammerhead

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
I'm originally from Fredonia, near Cedarburg, home to The Cheesemaker. Grandparents were dairy farmers and I spent most of my youth working at their farm. I now live in North Carolina, and have access to farm fresh milk.
I went to school in La Crosse, but have spent a lot of time in Northern WI, mostly Rice Lake, Hayward, Tomahawk and Door County. I still go to WI for vacation every summer. Hobbies are, besides cheesemaking, brewing, wine, mead, and champagne, yogurt, kraut, kimchi, pretty much anything that can be fermented, beekeeping, flower and veggie gardening. I get 2 to 4 gallons of milk per month, and make cheese from each 2 gallon lot. Currently have cambozola, romano, havarti, gruyere, cheddar, and montasio either to eat or aging.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »
I'm in Mad-Town. :)

Jesse, Madison?  Moi aussi. 
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
McCreamy,
Where is Cap and Cork?  I was thinking it was just south of what used to be London Square mall, but we were in the area yesterday and I didn't see it.  I don't get to Eau Claire very often, but will be sure to get to the store next time I'm there.

I'm teaching cheesemaking classes...where are you located?

McCreamy

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
I am located in Tilden "halfway between the equator and the north poll". WHERE are you teaching classes? HOW can I sign up? I'm SOOO interested in taking some!!!! 
Cap n Corks is on London Road. If you know where Chester's is, its in the mini mall right down the road from it. I don't know how well you know Eau Claire. It's on the same road as Erbert and Gerbert's. I just can't say enough about that place and the owners!