Author Topic: Pepper Jack drying  (Read 1229 times)

Neil

Pepper Jack drying
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
This is a pepper jack I made this weekend and it's on its second day of drying (out of the press yesterday).  When I flipped it this morning I didn't notice any wet spots on it anywhere.  Should I go ahead and wax it or let it dry out a bit more?

Thanks!
Neil

Spoons

Re: Pepper Jack drying
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
Great looking cheese, Neil! I would wait a bit, especially since you're waxing. If you were bagging, I'd say take a chance if you want and re-bag if you see any whey build-up, but you can't do that with wax (you can with transparent wax, but it's such a pain).

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Nice looking cheese there ! ;D

I just coated and waxed a pepper jack yesterday , I let it dry for 5 days.

1 day is probably a little early.

Neil

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:11 AM »
Thanks.

When I turned it this evening the bottom side had some light/damp areas so I'll keep airing it out. 
Should I be looking for a dryness similar to a slice of cheese that has been left out and dried up prior to waxing...?

Neil

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:30 AM »
Should I be looking for a dryness similar to a slice of cheese that has been left out and dried up prior to waxing...?

One method I've been using to know when it's time to seal is; when you gently rub the bottom side with your hand and it produces a "gritty sand-paper-like sound", then you're safe to wax. I usually get that at around 5-7 days.

There are times I've lost patience and sealed prior to that "test". I'd say 80% of those times I've had weeping problems within a week's time.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
I would recommend leaving it for about 4-8 days depending on how you are drying it, as said by spoons look for a sand paper feel. Good luck

Neil

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  When I flipped this morning I noticed a slight sandpaper feel around the sides.  Each time I've flipped it there is slight moisture on the bottom (even if it was dry when it was flipped prior).  I will continue until the whole thing has a sandpaper feel.

Thanks!