Author Topic: Fluorescent yellow rind on soft ripened cheese  (Read 4467 times)

Milk Maid

Fluorescent yellow rind on soft ripened cheese
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:20 AM »
Hi everyone:

I'm trying to get a good picture but until I do, I wanted to ask if anyone has advice on a strange bloom of fluorescent yellow on my recent (3 week old) Tallegio-style cheeses. The only adjunct cultures I added were a skewer tip of Micrococci (from Dairy Connection). I thought I'd be able to gain a nice reddish b. linens rind from rubbing the cheeses with beer but for now I am just worried. I can distantly recall reading about or hearing about this fluorescent yellow-green color but can't remember what was said.

Thanks for the advice!

Milk Maid

Matthewcraig

Re: Fluorescent yellow rind on soft ripened cheese
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
Personally to me I don't really see a bad rind, but of you are worried about it just rub it in brine or if you think and unwanted mould has penetrated the cheese make to holes right down the middle with a skewer and soak it in a weak brine solution for a day or so. Good luck

george

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
Yellow is fine, it's just baby b. linens. I don't remember either what was said about the green, I think it only happened to someone once. Could just be the lighting.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
Yellow is fine, it's just baby b. linens. I don't remember either what was said about the green, I think it only happened to someone once. Could just be the lighting.

Sometimes, a bit of fusarium shows up. That looks more like a symbiotic byproduct of yeast and bacteria coloration, though. Sometimes the bacterial coloration changes based on metabolic byproducts. depends on the b linens strain

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
This looks to me like it may be pseudomonas fluorescens.  Your water may be the culprit.

pmc1958

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »
This sounds like a bacteria called Pseudomonas Fluorescens, which is a water contaminant, and produces a fluorescent yellow colour action when it grows. It is not harmful if eaten, however it will impart a bitter off metallic flavor and smell.  It is considered  a dairy product spoilage organism. If on the ends, then you can trim that off and retreat to get a good rind. The growth of P. Fluorescens indicates the humidity of the ends of the cheese has been too high, storage on a rack, rather than a solid shelf will help, as will turning more frequently.  If you are using a brine with water to wash your cheese try using distilled water instead.