Author Topic: First attempt at cheese using rennet (mozz), milk didn't curdle  (Read 6247 times)

megyams

First attempt at cheese using rennet (mozz), milk didn't curdle
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Utter total complete newbie (advance apologies) -

Trying to make this recipe today:

1 gallon whole milk
1 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
1/4 tablet rennet, crushed
1/4 cup warm water
EQUIPMENT: cheesecloth; kitchen string
Heat milk and citric acid to 88°F in a 7- to 8-qt heavy pot over low heat, stirring occasionally, then maintain a temperature of 88 to 91°F on an instant-read thermometer, returning to and removing from heat as necessary, for 1 hour. (Mixture will begin to curdle.)
Dissolve rennet in warm water, then stir into milk mixture. Let stand, uncovered, maintaining 88 to 91°F, until the consistency of soft pudding, 15 to 20 minutes.
Using a long knife, make cuts across stiffened milk mixture at 1/2-inch intervals, reaching down to bottom of pot, then make similar cuts in stiffened milk mixture to form a crosshatch pattern (small squares) on top. Let stand, undisturbed, 5 minutes. Keeping temperature between 88 and 91°F (reheat when necessary over very low heat), gently stir curds every 10 minutes for 30 minutes, then let curds stand, uncovered and undisturbed, maintaining temperature, 30 minutes more.

Problem: never got curdled milk, or curds. REALLY hate to waste this milk. Any tips to salvage it, either as cheese or otherwise?

If it matters (I assume it may), I used organic, low-heat pasteurized organic milk.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and reply.

Megan

Digitalsmgital

Re: First attempt at cheese using rennet (mozz), milk didn't curdle
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Hi Megan, welcome to the forum!

Tell us more about the tablet of rennet, is it Junket rennet or cheese rennet?

megyams

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
Hmm. I am not sure. It says "clots 50 liters of milk at 95*F" so does that mean it is cheese rennet? I don't know what Junket rennet is, I'm afraid  :-[

There are many names on it so I am not sure the brand - Cuajo, Marschall, El Cuajo De Hoy . . .

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
Junket is a brand. It's a rennet strong enough to make custard but not strong enough to make a good cheese.

If you see Marshall on the box, then I believe that's Danisco's brand of rennet. I think all their rennet variation are for cheese making. "Cuajo" is Spanish for "Rennet"

Here are a few suggestions to help achieve coagulation:
1. Try dissolving rennet in room-temperature distilled water before stirring in milk
2. when pouring the dissolved rennet in the milk, make sure you use the right "up-down-20-to-30 seconds" stirring technique for even distribution

Also, I haven't worked with pill or powedered rennet in ages, but I vaguely remember that there's a suggested time limit once stirred in water. Maybe someone here can weigh in on this.

megyams

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Thank you. I will try again with your suggestions (and a smaller qty of milk I think, in case it doesn't work out). I am wondering, the rennet pkg mentions 95*, but the recipe keeps it below this the entire time (88 - 91*) . . . Could that be the issue?

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
I always use the tablets , 1/2 tab for up to 4 gallons milk (16l.) diluted in 1/4 cup COOL water about 15 minutes before using.

I've done low temp recipes too , still no problem , so I doubt it's temperature related.

I can't imagine what happened to yours.

It sounds like what happens when you try to use ultra pasteurized milk , but you say you used low temp organic.

You could maybe still make yogurt with it?

It's very important that you stir it into the milk very well.

Offline tapper of spines

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »

My cheese attempt from this past weekend didn't curdle at first either.  Checking Ricki's book, I wondered if I had been running things too cold.  So I increased the temperature and it promptly curdled.  While I was pressing I made a batch of ice water and tested the thermometer.  The reading was off by 10 degrees Celsius.  Well, that explains that.

Have you checked your thermometers against ice or boiling water?

TOS

KatKooks

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 01:39:41 AM »
Hi Megan, I know I'm late with my response, but better late than never?

I think you might need calcium chloride.  I would say 1/8 t would be enough for 1 gallon. 

I am so very new at this...but my first 2 makes went down the toilet and one didn't set at all.

Hope this is helpful!

Spoons

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »
I think you might need calcium chloride.

Calcium Chloride takes away curd's ability to stretch a pasta filata cheese properly. That's why it's normally not used while making mozz. In order to compensate for a stronger curd, some recipes tell you to cut 2" cubes and let rest 10 minutes, then cut 1/2" cubes and rest another 5 minutes.

KatKooks

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:11:59 AM »
Thanks Eric....another thing I didn't know! LOL