Author Topic: Cheese making for Biology  (Read 4481 times)

marsbar07

Cheese making for Biology
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:28 AM »
Hey folks - I'm a Biology professor and for our fermentation lab we traditionally make yogurt.  However, I'm bored of it and wanted to try making cheese.  Was planning on neufchatel cheese but need to get it down to a 3 day process (class on Monday and then again on Wednesday).  We have milk, buttermilk, rennet tablets and lots of beakers/thermometers/hotplates.  Any tips or pointers?

John@PC

Re: Cheese making for Biology
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »
I've not made cream (or neufchatel) cheese but from what I know it (1) requires a culture and (2) differs from classic cheesemaking because there's no formation of curds.  I'm sure there will be other suggestions but mine is to make chedder cheese curds which is a pretty easy 3 day make.  The one I've used that has always met with great reviews is a recipe for Cheddar-Jalapeno Cheese Curds from Mary Karlin's book.  You will need some Meso II or equivalent culture.   If you want to avoid a cultured cheese a queso blanco or ricottta would be fun.

Matthewcraig

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »
Yes I agree with making something like cheddar Colby or Monterey Jack if you don't want to age it make something like ricotta which doesn't need culture just citric acid which I am sure a lab would have :)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
The other option is to make Haloumi.
No cultures required, just salt, rennet and milk! Plus you can eat it almost immediately.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Andymgl

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
Hey folks - I'm a Biology professor and for our fermentation lab we traditionally make yogurt.  However, I'm bored of it and wanted to try making cheese.  Was planning on neufchatel cheese but need to get it down to a 3 day process (class on Monday and then again on Wednesday).  We have milk, buttermilk, rennet tablets and lots of beakers/thermometers/hotplates.  Any tips or pointers?

hi since youre a biologist, I wanted to ask you questions about microbial rennet and mild lipase powder, hoping you might know the answer.
I have found a whole seller of both items mentioned above. and they have offered me microbial rennet which has 15,000imcug, enzyme activity and for mild lipase 50,000u/g, 10,000u/g enzyme activity, I have no idea which one of them is suitable to make mozzarella.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:25 AM »
I would be inclined to make goat cheese / chèvre   Trader Joe's has some that works well .

Warm the milk to 90 f  add butter milk wait 1 hr add rennet stir and let sit 24 hrs then strain in cheese cloth for 24 hrs , then salt at 1.5 percent by weight .

You can then add herbs ..... eat right away or keep it for a week or so in the fridge .  If this cheese is dry enough it will age out for a month or 2