Author Topic: Ash and flavor, Humboldt Fog  (Read 1824 times)

RouxBdoo

Ash and flavor, Humboldt Fog
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:49:14 AM »
Snacking on one of my favorites Humboldt Fog.  I am a newbie to this board and to cheese in a way.  I have read in many sources that the ash was used not for flavor but for effect.  I love the look of H Fog but I am curious, I taste what seems to be a blue mold culture (roqueforti), I might be wrong but I still pick up on it.  When I trim the rind it is less pronounced.

This won't change my love of Humboldt Fog, I am just wondering if the ash is purely for looks as some say, or if it affects the cheese.  Also are my taste buds off completely?  Does HF remind anyone else of a blue culture, or is it my imagination.  Where does it derive this flavor from if that is the case.

I am loving this board and learning more about cheese and cheese making.  Did I mention I loved cheese???

Tim

Marta

Re: Ash and flavor, Humboldt Fog
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
As I understand it, the ash affects the ph levels in ways that someone more experienced than I am
should explain.

In any case, that HF is a beauty!  Nice balance between the gooey outer stuff and the chalky inner stuff. 

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »
Ash normally regulates the skin to prevent slip-skin problems in P. or G. Candidum ripened cheeses but with humboldt fog, it protects the previous day's curd from insects  :D

It is made with left over curd which wasn't enough for a cheese and the rest added the next day. Through out the night while the bottom curd is waiting, it is covered with ash and water slurry to protect from flies and insects.

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »
Ash normally regulates the skin to prevent slip-skin problems in P. or G. Candidum ripened cheeses but with humboldt fog, it protects the previous day's curd from insects  :D
How interesting on a couple of levels!  I didn't know that activated charcoal helped to prevent slip skin.  I love the visual effect of ash and come to think of it I never had a failure when I used it. 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »

It is made with left over curd which wasn't enough for a cheese and the rest added the next day. Through out the night while the bottom curd is waiting, it is covered with ash and water slurry to protect from flies and insects.

I don't think they make it that way now.....it is all made at onetime according to a forum member's post who actually was there and got a chance to help pack the forms.  But the tradition of the ash midline is what you said although I thought it was morning's curd protection until night but maybe I am wrong about that.  (who knows if I remember this correctly??  :D )

A friend brought some HF cheese to our house and although I've always loved it this time it had a harsh taste in the back of my mouth that reminds me of blue cheese although I didn't taste any PR blue taste.  Perhaps that is what Roucbdoo is tasting?

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
In my experience some PC and moreso GC strains offer a certain "zing" in their flavor profiles that one might find reminiscent of blue molds.  Perhaps that is what you are perceiving.

Yes, I believe one is hard pressed to find a two day make in even an artisan Morbier these days.  That central ash stripe sure is pretty though.