Author Topic: Too much wine !  (Read 4152 times)

jwalker

Too much wine !
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Well , what can I say , I enjoy the hobby , but I make WAY more than I drink , and even after giving lots away I find I still have too much.

The jar you see below was 1 1/2 gallons of Cherry Wine yesterday , now it takes up a lot less room in my cellar , and makes a nice Martini.

My plan is to make some Sherry , has anyone here ever made it?

linuxboy

Re: Too much wine !
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
How is your cherry wine clear? That's interesting.  I've made sherry before. Hardest part is developing a stable flor to float on top.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I found this recipe for using wines that don't come out as planned.

http://www.101winemaking.com/sherry.htm

I've heard that it makes a pretty acceptable sherry , though probably not a true sherry.
I also think that a similar process is used by some of the larger winemakers to use up some odd batches of wine , take for instance Bright's 74 sherry made here in BC , at only $5.99 per bottle , it is one of the cheapest alcoholic beverages in the store , so I just have my doubts it is made in the traditional manner , but you never know.

I'm going to try this method and see what I get anyway.

I would like to try the traditional recipe for a flor Sherry as well , how did yours turn out , and did you fortify it as well ?

This wine is clear now because I "processed" it , as I need something higher in alcohol content to fortify the Sherry with.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
ah, wine processing. Classic :)

I don't know about any of the home-scale processing. No, did not fortify. I got the final to 15% ABV so no need.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:40:25 AM »
Used to make sherry from hip. Made 25 liter and devided that over 2 25 liter glass vats and closed the water lock with cotton. Left it for about a year that way and it turned out to a very nice cream sherry...

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:38 AM »
Well , what can I say , I enjoy the hobby , but I make WAY more than I drink , and even after giving lots away I find I still have too much.
Two choices it looks to me: (1) drink more or (2) make less.  I vote for (1)  ^-^

valley ranch

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
I've read the title of this thread: "Too much wine!"

Isn't that what they call an oxymoron? I guess it could be put into a sentence: Too much wine in that barrel for the amount of bottles we have ready! But it's hard to imagine: Too much of a good thing.

Sherry, I feel I've made Sherry when I get the burnt {not bad burnt}, finished taste.  Usually the addition of alcohol isn't necessary.

I've heard of barrels being stored in the sun to get the wanted flavor, I feel heat, I've used our room with a wood stove, works fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you've heard: The shipment of wine that had travelled to India {Goa I think}  having missed the soldiers it was sent for was sent back to Portugal, the time in the hot galley of the ship had given it the wonderful flavor. And that being the origination of Sherry.

Maybe true?

john H

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »
Used to make sherry from hip. Made 25 liter and devided that over 2 25 liter glass vats and closed the water lock with cotton. Left it for about a year that way and it turned out to a very nice cream sherry...

I have a 23L batch of port on the go right now. Used Frontenac as the base for the port added a few goodies then fortified it up to 20% with alcool.