Author Topic: stacking molds  (Read 1318 times)

wille

stacking molds
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
haven't found this mentioned yet but sorry if its a repeat.  if I stack 2 molds for pressing a tomme do i need to move the bottom mold to the top to account for the additional weight for the top cheese.  am about to build off the wall presses and need to know if i need to build 8 or if can get away with 4.  thanks

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Re: stacking molds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
The bottom mold does get a little added weight from the top mold, maybe about 1  to 3 lbs. With an "off the wall press" both molds will be getting the full tare weight ( pressing weight from the weight of lever arm and plunger)  which could be up to 20 lbs depending on the length and weight of the lever arm. An " off the wall press" gives you lots of weight on the high end but the minimum weight is quite high also.

wille

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
is that additional weight enough to be a concern

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:14:12 AM »
If you press with 20 lbs when your recipe calls for 5 lbs it could be a problem. Maybe someone with lots of experience could add a comment.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
I doubt the weight of one cheese on top would affect the bottom one too much , unless of course you're making 12 pound cheeses or something big like that.

If you were stacking 4 or 5 high it might also make a difference too.

If you are flipping them in the molds while pressing , I would reverse them every flip though , just to be sure.

Be careful and be sure to work out the weight by factoring in leverage and PSI , I'm a major proponent of light weights , my cheese are all much better than when I first started and was using heavy weights.

I use just enough to get a good knit , it works for me.

Post some pics of your presses when done. ;D

wille

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:45 PM »
thanks for the input!