Author Topic: Problems after improvements  (Read 1963 times)

wnascimento

Problems after improvements
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
As I told in my introduction, I bought in the beginning of last year 10 Lacaune pregnant ewes.
I started to milking in May last year ( beginning of our winter time 15 to 18 Celsius )
During that lactation season I basically made Manchego cheese using the following points:
a) All the milk were pasteurized
b) I used direct fire
c) The cultures used were 5 UC DVS fractioned in UHT milk and frozen as Ice blocks
d) During all the season I used the PH meter.
e) The criteria to define the cutting of the curd was the time of 50 minutes and every time I got a clean break. 
This year is my second milking season year and after a lot of reading (mainly in this forum) I decided to make some improvements.
 a) Use raw milk instead of pasteurized, because I know the quality of my milk and the health of the animals.
b) I started to use double boiler instead of direct fire.
c) I bought the same kind of cultures and rennet than used last year to be sure they are fresh.
d) I tried to use the flocculation time.
I am facing now the following problems:
1) The PH after one hour of the addition of the culture do not decrease, it keeps the same 6,6 of the beginning.
2) The flocculation time do not stay in the range of 12 to 18 minutes.
3) The clear cut point that last year were always in 50 minutes, now is something around 1h 30 min.
What am I doing wrong?
For me the big issue is that the milk is not acidifying after the addition of the culture, but why?
I am sure it is not chlorine contamination.
Can the weather have some influence? Now we are in summer 28 to 29 Celsius ?
Can other changes I did make some influence?
can someone of the experts suggest something?

Digitalsmgital

Re: Problems after improvements
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Senhor Wallce, it seems your improvements were actually setbacks!  :(

You sound quite knowledgable about your equipment and supplies, yet you must be overlooking something.

Could your fresh batch of supplies simply be the culprit? New rennet and cultures, even from the same supplier, could still have been stored and shipped under less-than-ideal conditions. Try last year's supplies if you still have them.

Which cultures are you using?

Is your pH meter is properly calibrated?

wnascimento

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Dave

I bought all the same supplies from the same supplier (Sacco).
Today I started to make a Manchego cheese.
According your suggestion I rechecked all the points, and I found that I did not added the Calcium Chloride, because I was using the raw milk instead of Pasteurized.
I decided to add the Calcium Chloride and I got the coagulation early, including with the flocculation time in the range of 12 to 18 minutes.
Thanks for your comments.

Wallace

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
I am not sure if I can be much help but what about if you pasteurized one batch of milk and made cheese with it using your new set up and systems.  It it works out when you know the difference is the raw milk and not the new setup and systems.  Then you can concentrate on figuring out what adjustments to make for the raw milk.  Does this make sense? 

wnascimento

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
Tiarella

Excuse me for the delay in answering your comment.
I don't know why, but I only saw your comment today when revising my posts.
I will consider your suggestion.

Thanks

Wallace