Author Topic: Understanding a piece of data from Culture Spec sheet  (Read 2342 times)

Tomer1

Understanding a piece of data from Culture Spec sheet
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »
I can across this RA22 culture from danisco without a ph-time graph.
http://thecheesemaker.com/content/specs_RA_22.pdf

Im trying to understand these two figures:
Delta pH: 0.9
Time to reach the delta pH: <= 4.5 hours

I suppose it talks about molding the cheese? 6.3-0.9= 5.4 which is about the usual cheddar molding pH.  thats fast!  :o

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Understanding a piece of data from Culture Spec sheet
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
RA-21 and RA-22 are fast acidifiers. They actually start off fairly slowly and then come on with a BANG about 3 hours into a make. So you can definitely get to molding pH much faster. It gives a nice savory flavor, so I use this on some of my traditional English Cheddars like Cheshire and Lancashire.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:58 PM »
Hi  Sailor,
So what exacly does this delta time mean for the make?

Matthewcraig

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:40:20 AM »
Thank you sailor for this information i have been looking on culture data sheets and finding it fairly had to understand some of the timings on them.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
So what exacly does this delta time mean for the make?

Delta simply means change. Milk varies considerably and there are no absolutes for pH with the milk that you start with. When talking about pH it doesn't make sense to talk about absolute values. So when a recipe or manufacturers data sheet suggests a delta pH of .9 that means a change of .9 on a pH meter. For example if your milk starts off with a pH of 6.6, then a delta of .9 would mean you are looking for a pH of 5.7, etc.