Author Topic: No Munster can defeat me!!! No. 3  (Read 2658 times)

Flound

No Munster can defeat me!!! No. 3
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
No way I'm going to let a cheese win!

So today, on blizzard day, on started Munster 3.

Munster 3  14/03/26

3.0L Farmers 3.25% Homogenized
1.5L Farmers 10% cream
1 cube buttermilk
1 cube creme fraiche
1.3ml CaCl in 60ml cool distilled water
1.3ml single strength calf rennet in 60ml distilled water
Salt

11:45 milk and cream into double boiler, close to room temp already.  Added CaCl solution - temp 20.9C
12:15 added creme fraiche and buttermilk cubes - temp 24.9C
12:49 forgot to turn burner on - temp 25.6C
13:25 temp 32.2C, started ripening.
13:43 temp 32.7C, added rennet solution, started floc timer
13:53 flocc'ed at 8:40. 4x floc multiplier. Cut curd at 14:20
14:20 cut curd, temp 32.2C
14:30 started stir for 15 min
14:45 let curds settle for 30 minutes, temp 32.0C
15:15 transferred curds to lined colander
15:28 started 30 minute drain
16:05 ladle curds into mould, placed in double boiler on egg crates, to keep warm
16:40 flipped
17:25 flipped

JeffHamm

Re: No Munster can defeat me!!! No. 3
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »
Alright!  Let's try not to drop this puppy.

- Jeff

Flound

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
I only made one wheel this time. Something a little meatier to hold onto. Those skinny side plates I made the last time...pfft.

Meaty, cheesey, big and bouncy...

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »
It does look thicker.  That will affect how it ripens.  Washed rinds and bloomy rinds (i.e. brie and cams) ripen from the outside in.  If they are too thick, they won't ripen all the way to the centre (i.e. thick your first cured meat, which didn't cure to the centre), or by the time they do the outside will be over ripe.  The form factor can be a critical component to a cheese.  Now, that being said, there are thick washed rind cheeses, like Port Salute, so it's not "wrong".  See how this one goes with respect to your b.linens development.  Consider a couple of disks, and maybe glue some sandpaper to your gloves. ;)

- Jeff

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »
No way I'm going to let a cheese win!
  Good for you  Flound and praying that the cheese gods are favorable to you.  Go for the gold(en cheese) ;).

Alpkäserei

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
The cheese always wins

The trick is, fooling it into wanting the same thing you want...

Flound

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
As mentioned in the Gouda thread, I've found a novel way to make a Munster since my actual Munster makes seem to have different ideas.

It actually makes perfect sense now that I look back.

As I had no b. linens, I was doing the hand wash thing you mentioned for this, the third Munster. Clearly the PR from the Stilton migrated over before my hand linens could gain traction.

However, my 4L baby Gouda experiment was in a pretty much sealed container to prevent or at least reduce the cross contamination from the blue. Which appears to have providing a perfect 90-95% environment for the linens. It has a nice little orangish rind developing. ;)

As for the Munster, I've scrubbed back as much of the PR that I can see, cutting too small holes where it penetrated a wee bit. And on Friday, I got an actual honest to goodness SR3 linens and have started a wash with that and a bit of Geo 13.

Here's to hoping the SR3 takes over...

Edit; added pics. First is the Munster after scrubbed of PR and washed with SR3 and Geo13 3% brine solution. Second is the baby Gouda that hasn't been washed, smeared or anything. It's got a bit of PR but the linens, whatever strain and some Geo seem to be 'winning'.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:51:04 AM by Flound »

Matthewcraig

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
looking very good so far a cheese to you for your persistence.

Flound

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
The cheese won.

Or the PR won.

Not sure.

Blue mold, blue mold, blue mold...no linens growth, threw in the towel.

Paste was bland, but awesome texture.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
Not much love with the rinds.  It's odd that your munster developed blue, your gouda developed b.linens, and your blue developed geo?  Your rinds have gotten confused about which cheese  is home it seems.  Anyway, I found the paste for this make is very good.  I'll probably try it with b.linenes again soon as I cut into it very early last time.  We'll get this one to work.

- Jeff