Author Topic: Extreem "Milking Through" Alpine/Nubian doe  (Read 3879 times)

HonestOmnivore

Extreem "Milking Through" Alpine/Nubian doe
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
I purchased a mixed breed doe last spring who had last freshened in 2010.  Her previous owner said she couldn't dry her off.

I'd been milking her (Milly) and two NDG does, one who last freshened in 2012 and the other this past spring (2013).  I had surgery in early January, including carpel tunnel and CMC (base of thumb) and as I'm fumbling typing this I'm still wearing splints on both arms/hands, and my right hand won't be cleared to milk for another three or four weeks.

During this time my (grumpy, older) husband has been milking once a day.  The NDG who freshened back in 2012 has dried up which I think is good, and the other NDG is down to about a half pound a day.  The Alpine/Nubian mix, Wilma, is still at a steady 2 lbs per  milking...

My question- Am I hurting her by continuing to milk her?  Her coat/weight/hooves look good and I provide sweet feed formulated for dairy goats while I milk her.  It's been an ugly winter up here in Ohio, so there's been very little pasture but we do provide a grass hay (round bale) in the pasture, and alfalfa mix in the barn.  I'm going to bring in a buck in a few weeks and due to the small size of my NDG does, he will be a dwarf also.  I'm not sure he'll be able to breed Millie unless he masters using stilts!

Any thoughts?

Juan Fries Widdat

Re: Extreem "Milking Through" Alpine/Nubian doe
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
He'll find something to stand on.
Milking through doesn't hurt unless they are losing condition.
If you want to dry her off try not milking at all, don't feed her grain, don't bring her to the milk stand. After her udder starts to get smaller you might not even want to milk it out.
I'm not sure how the colostrum might be affected if you milk day of her delivery. If she has doe kids charge extra for them!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:13 AM »
It is less stress for a doe to milk through than be dried off and carry a pregnancy to full term. Milking through is easier on the doe.  I guess I'd be thinking on whether the feed and upkeep costs are balancing out with a quart of milk a day or if you'd rather breed her and have more milk once she freshens. Whatever works for you is fine. 

About colostrum......recently on the Holistic Goat newslist the topic came up about whether it's okay to milk a pregnant doe close to delivery if she needs the pressure relieved on her udder.  Old timers said the antibodies are added to the milk when she kids, catalyzed by the birthing process and therefore milking before isn't a problem.  I can't prove this but am passing it along.

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »
Here's what I just bought for my goats, just get the sheep version.

http://www.partsdeptonline.com/COMPLETE-BUCKET-FOR-1-GOAT-35-W_62997-CLUSTERS/productinfo/62585G-1/
Parts dept. people are helpful, just give them a call to get the right inflations for your sheep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321634720625?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This is the pump we bought. It's reconditioned, but works great and you just need to buy a 1/2" threaded  to 1/2" ID barb to connect the hose.

http://cottoneyeddoes.webs.com/buildingyourownmilker.htm
Here's a good website to learn the basic setup for a milker.

hambydairysupply.com/xcart/manuals/portablegoatmilker2013.pdf
Here's a manual for the bucket milker.

Good Luck!