Author Topic: Large molds/hoops  (Read 3958 times)

WovenMeadows

Large molds/hoops
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
Looking for suggestions on large hoops or molds. I'm not talking 4-6 pounds "large" :) (But not 80lbs large either!) Something in the 10 to 20 pound range. The ball is finally starting to really roll on our farmstead creamery plans! We finally had our loan application go through and get approved, and then a few days later I was able to buy a 75 gallon vat-pasteurizer at a going-out-of-farming auction here in NY. Very excited. But need to work on the facility in which to make the cheese...

Anyway, large molds. Most anything I can find on websites max out around 6 or 8 pounds, like the 3.5 kg Kadova (which is pricey!) or the 8x8x6" "large tomme", which i currently use and would probably be my choice if I don't find other options. Would like something larger though, in part to reduce the labor and number in inventory. Dairy Heritage offers a "truckle" mold, making a high cylinder. And more commercially, it looks like "wilson style" hoops are common (and I see some in a 20lb size). Both of these seem to work not by having a following pushing down within the walls of the form; rather, there are two side or wall pieces, one of which slides within the other; the top cover pushes down on one of the sides, while the base supports the other side wall. You use pins to hold the upper side higher to start, fill with curd, place the lid, then remove the pins so that the top and bottom can press towards each other. I imagine it works more or less like any standard mold.

Of course, larger molds would need larger pressure too, and I don't think I want to invest in a pneumatic press...

Spoons

Re: Large molds/hoops
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »
Some companies that sell cheese making equipment also have a consultation service. I know Glengarry and Danlac Canada both offer this service for small businesses. They'd most likely be able to make a special order for you.

Good luck with your creamery project! Sounds fun!!!

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
I'm curious from a home / hobby cheese maker's point of view what is the best "format" for medium sized farmstead cheeses?  By format I mean cylindrical vs. tapered (tomme mold with bottom) and  aspect ratio (dia. vs height)?   It sounds like if it's hoops it's cylindrical without a bottom?  Links to images could help.  Thanks.

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
I'm curious from a home / hobby cheese maker's point of view what is the best "format" for medium sized farmstead cheeses?  By format I mean cylindrical vs. tapered (tomme mold with bottom) and  aspect ratio (dia. vs height)?   It sounds like if it's hoops it's cylindrical without a bottom?  Links to images could help.  Thanks.

Those springform hoops in the above photos are what our local cheese makers use , the round piece I believe is the follower , used for pressing and weighting , that one is a twenty pound mold.

They like the shallower , larger diameter molds as most of their cheese is sold in wedges anyway.

I plan on going with the same thing in a 12 pound version , whenever we get licensed , as that is the size of vat I will be using.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
I like a 2:1 form factor at most for my cheese, but then that's been for by 8 gallon size batches, and maybe I wouldn't want something that thick if going wider. I had seen that 6" x 14" hoop before, and assumed it was too shallow, but rethinking it, probably not. I'm curious about the other forms shown in that picture - it looks like they stack and next, with the bottom on one mold serving at the follower/top of the one below it.
Here's a picture of the wilson box:
http://www.schiercompany.com/pictures/cheese/67426.jpg

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
Woven,

You should consider size carefully if you are looking to sell wholesale. I do 8" wheels that average about 7 pounds and sell whole wheels to restaurants and distributors. Larger wheels can be too expensive for restaurants, etc.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
Our plan is to be mostly CSA/subscription type, and Farmers Markets. So a 15lb wheel could turn into say 30 1/2 lb chunks for customers. So I don't think too large.