Author Topic: Dutch press, Alpine PSI, compact design, sturdy build.  (Read 5768 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Dutch press, Alpine PSI, compact design, sturdy build.
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
Title pretty much says it all.  I liked Al Lewis's Cabarrus Farms make, but that domain seems to have been sold so I don't know if they're producing anymore. 

No need for cheddar pressures, looking for a wooden press that can handle alpine makes, a few psi only; and I don't want to build anything.  Must be compact and stowable.  Anyone have any particular recommendations?  How's the press from New England Cheesemaking?

Thanks,

Paul
- Paul

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Dutch press, Alpine PSI, compact design, sturdy build.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Buy this one.  It's the one I kept of the two I bought and very nice.  http://sturdypress.com/
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »
Thanks Al.  I popped the site up after seeing your side by side, looks great.  The only question I have, do you have any issue with pot clearance if wanting to press under whey, anything like that?

ps:  "clearance" or not, looks great and went ahead with it, Al, thanks for the heads up here and on your other threads.  My Beaufort hiatus is now officially over!
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
My Beaufort hiatus is now officially over!
Now we're talkin'! Let's see some Beaufort action! 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
Thanks Al.  I popped the site up after seeing your side by side, looks great.  The only question I have, do you have any issue with pot clearance if wanting to press under whey, anything like that?

ps:  "clearance" or not, looks great and went ahead with it, Al, thanks for the heads up here and on your other threads.  My Beaufort hiatus is now officially over!

I use dead weights from my exercise gear.  If you need a really light weight you could use a gallon bucket, or milk jug, with plenty of clearance but the 5 gallon bucket is not really necessary for anything I've done.  I have also hung 50 pounds of weights on it at 9:1 without a problem although I don't believe they recommend going that high.  It is really a solid, well made, unit.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
My Beaufort hiatus is now officially over!
Now we're talkin'! Let's see some Beaufort action! 8)

-Boofer-

Well, god knows my tomme queries have been a wash, so maybe I'll have better luck with the alpine lads...:)
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »

I use dead weights from my exercise gear.  If you need a really light weight you could use a gallon bucket, or milk jug, with plenty of clearance but the 5 gallon bucket is not really necessary for anything I've done.  I have also hung 50 pounds of weights on it at 9:1 without a problem although I don't believe they recommend going that high.  It is really a solid, well made, unit.

Hey Al, thanks.  I actually meant the clearance of the cheese wheel inside a pot (with whey), possibly.  But either way, it's all good - bought it and expected this Friday.  Thanks much, once again.
- Paul

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »
You'll find it has much more room for the pot than the Carrabas Farms one had.  One of my many reasons for keeping it.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Great, thanks Al.  Looking forward to it!

Paul
- Paul

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:05 AM »
Great, thanks Al.  Looking forward to it!

Paul

Paul, I'm hoping that John at P-C starts producing the very cool press he makes. He's been busy doing other stuff but ask him to send you a photo.  It's a press like no other.  It's almost sculptural.  I want one.  I hope he does into production on it.  sigh........   :-*

Spoons

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
Paul, I'm hoping that John at P-C starts producing the very cool press he makes. He's been busy doing other stuff but ask him to send you a photo.  It's a press like no other.  It's almost sculptural.  I want one.  I hope he does into production on it.  sigh........   :-*

It is a cool design! I don't think anyone sells anything like it online... What are you waiting for, John?!! lol!

Spoons

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:35 AM »

Paul,

Here's the Sturdypress while pressing under whey. I use a 12 qt cambro. It's bottom measurements are 9" x9". So if your mould is 8" diameter or less, then it fits nicely. I use a ziplock bag to protect the plunger.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »
Thanks Tiarella.  Anything John makes is going to be top-notch, I know it.  Look forward to seeing it....John?

Thank you, too, Spoons.  The Sturdypress arrives Monday and I plan to put it to use almost immediately.  Great pic, with the Cambro, perfect. 

Cheers, friends, thanks again.

- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
Thanks for those nice comments Kathrin.  I could write a book about all the permutations in trying to design a "light" (i.e. up to 50 lbs. surface load) press that handles molds up to 8" diameter, provides more constant pressure through the press cycle than a "spring press", and can be collapsed for easy storage.   And yes, I have been dealing with some other stuff but it's "good stuff" in that in the last two months Patty and I increased our grandchild numbers by a factor of three (twins last month and a grandson yesterday!).  At least that's a better excuse than the lame"my cat deleted my post"!