Author Topic: My First Washed Curd Cheese - The Colby  (Read 3807 times)

MAK

My First Washed Curd Cheese - The Colby
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
I have made a bunch of cheddar and wanted to try something different.  So far everything looks good.  I will be sharing my notes later this evening. 

JeffHamm

Re: My First Washed Curd Cheese - The Colby
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
Looks good.  Looking forward to your notes.

- Jeff

Matthewcraig

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
Looks great really nice colour  :)

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Hi Mak.  It is a nice mottled colby color.   Interesting skewer-mat, and I'm envious of your 4-slot toaster  :)

MAK

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:47:37 AM »
Hi Mak.  It is a nice mottled colby color.   Interesting skewer-mat, and I'm envious of your 4-slot toaster  :).

You like my homemade skewer mat?  I make them when I'm bored.  Regarding my toaster...I was tired of replacing toasters so I spent the money and bought that one on eBay.  You can usually find good deals on refurbished ones.

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »
That's a good looking cheese MaK! Nice colour! How long do you plan to age it?

MAK

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:45:25 AM »
Steps to my Colby

4-gallons of Raw Milk warmed to 86 degrees
Added 3/4 tsp. of Annetto diluted in 1/2 cup of distilled water.
Sprinkled 1/2 tsp. of MA11 culture on top of the milk and let it rehydrate for 3 minutes
Stirred in the culture through out the milk and raised the temp. To 90 degrees.
After about 10-15 minutes the temp. reached 90 degrees and maintained that temp. for 30 minutes.
Added 3/4 tsp. of rennet and left undisturbed for 45 minutes.
Once I achieved a clean break, I used a large whisk to cut the curd.  Let the curd heal for 5 minutes.
I slowly raised the temp. to 102 degrees over 30 minutes, while gently stirring.
Cooked the curd for 30 minutes while maintaining the temp. at 102 degrees and stirring.
Once the curd reaches the right consistency.  I removed the whey down to about 1" above curd.  (About 2 gallons)
Added 63 degree distilled water until the temp. of the whey stabilized at 83 degrees.
Stirred the curds for 15 minutes.
Removed the whey again down to the level of the curd and stirred the curd for 10 minutes.
Removed the rest of the whey using a cheese cloth lined strainer and placed curd back in the pan.  Stirred curd for additional few minutes.
Placed the curd in a cheese cloth lined mould.
Started with 10lbs of weight for 15 minutes. Remove and turn.  Add 20lbs. of weight for 30 minutes. Remove and turn.  Add 40lbs. of weight for 90 minutes. Remove and turn.  Add 50lbs. of weight for 8 hours. Removed and turn. 50lbs. for an additional 8 hours.
Brined for 12 hours
Dried in cave for 1-2 days and vacuumed sealed
I'm going to age for 3 months.

I look forward to any feedback.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:05:46 AM by MAK »

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:55:19 AM »
The make steps look solid. You will have some mechanical holes, but it won't affect the final taste or texture.

MAK

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »
The make steps look solid. You will have some mechanical holes, but it won't affect the final taste or texture.

What did I do that will cause that?

Dave

Spoons

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
There's nothing wrong with that. It's just common for us home cheesemakers. Just prepared you in advance so you won't be disappointed or surprised when you'll first cut it. So don't worry about it, there's nothing wrong with a few mechanical holes. The important thing when pressing is to get a good knit and not over-acidify.

KatKooks

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:42 AM »
Good looking cheese!  I look forward to the inside pics!

MAK

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »
Good looking cheese!  I look forward to the inside pics!

I can't wait either. :D