Author Topic: Vac bags leaking?  (Read 1571 times)

qdog1955

Vac bags leaking?
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
  Has anybody had any problems with their vac bags leaking? Noticed today that some of my vac bag cheeses seemed full of air, as were about 50% of my frozen sausage ----kind of defeats the whole purpose of vac bagging. These all seemed fine when they were sealed and for quite some time after. Any thoughts as to why? Does it make a difference which side is up when sealing----the one side being smooth and the other is sorta embossed? It's the only thing I can come up with, unless the bags have mini imperfections.
 Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Vac bags leaking?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
I have had the bags with a manual pump leak after a time. I have never had the "Foodsaver" bags leak when properly sealed.
Susan

beechercreature

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
I have had the bags with a manual pump leak after a time. I have never had the "Foodsaver" bags leak when properly sealed.

i have. many times. for me it was an issue with the heating strip not cooling down enough between uses. now i just wait 3-4 minutes between bags.

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
  Yes , I had that trouble with those bags, too---that's why I went to the food saver set up a couple years a go---no troubles till now.
 I've also heard about the strip getting to hot, so I've always been careful to let it cool before sealing.
  Also sealed some bags and put water in and can detect no leaks, yet!
Qdog

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
Foodsaver bags are 100% good for me.  However, for some reason, if I cut one open then reseal, I get about 50% failure. 

You might have some issue with the heating strip.  Run your hand over it, and visually inspect it, to make sure there's nothing stuck to it, and that it straight without any breaks or dips. 

I occasionally make large batches of pulled pork.  I end up sealing 10-20 bags in a row, then freezing.  Never a problem.  I also freeze sausage in them, no prob.

As mentioned above, the bags (Ziplock?) with the vacuum ports are terrible. 
- Andrew