Author Topic: Vacuum-packed my cheeses today. Good idea?  (Read 5309 times)

qdog1955

Re: Vacuum-packed my cheeses today. Good idea?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
Danbo ----a warning-----just threw out 3 cheeses that were vac packed and placed in my garage fridge----kinda forgot them----but the vac bags had leaked and were full of air, they were dried out moldy bricks. I have had some problems with this before----never figured out if it was bad bags or a bad seal----since then I have double sealed and that seems to have solved the problem----have talked to other people that had this problem, but it's not all that common.
 Also-- the vac bag can leave impressions in your cheese----some people hate that.
Mal----I guarantee it works better then the old hand pump----had one of those for years-----but it can crush the hell out soft and semi hard cheese.
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
I've been double sealing as well. Hopefully it gives a little more protection and is little effort from my part. I have a cheddar which will need bagging today. I waxed it, but just noticed yesterday that there is a small hole in the coating and it looks a tad blue underneath. Hopefully it hasn't spread too far. That is the good thing about vacuum bags. I'd have spotted that much easier. A dud bag is easy to spot also.

Shane

jbrewton

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
For those that double seal, are you using 2 bags or are you sealing the same bag twice?  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

shaneb

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
I'm just doing an extra seal at both ends of the same bag. I've noticed that a lot of zip lock bags here are having a second seal also now.

Shane