Author Topic: Cream Wax Odors?  (Read 4549 times)

Spoons

Cream Wax Odors?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »
As I was painting a cheese tonight, I noticed my cream wax smells a bit like a old dirty rag. I never noticed this before so I don't know if it's something that's developped lately or if it's been like this since I bought the jar.

I don't "double dip" in the cream wax jar, I use a clean spoon and drizzle it on top of the cheese, then I use a kitchen brush to coat the cheese. SO I doubt there's contaminants in the jar due to cheese. I also store in the cupboard (dark and temperate).

Does cream wax have a shelf life?

I also verified my other cream waxes for odors. They all smell different:

Yellow - Old rag
Clear - no odor
Black - smells like paint

So, is that old rag odor normal?

JimSteel

Re: Cream Wax Odors?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:19:10 AM »
Unfortunately, I know very little of cream wax.  Do you have synaesthesia by chance?  Perhaps the scent of each cream wax is related to it's perceived colour... :P

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:27:23 AM »
Unfortunately, I know very little of cream wax.  Do you have synaesthesia by chance?  Perhaps the scent of each cream wax is related to it's perceived colour... :P

I'll buy red cream wax. If it smells like cough medicine I'll schedule myself an appointment with a psychologist.  ;)

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:58:52 AM »

I'll buy red cream wax. If it smells like cough medicine I'll schedule myself an appointment with a psychologist.  ;)

Thanks for the laugh!  ;D

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
Yes , I find the yellow to have the strongest odor , sometimes mine smells of a stinky cheese , before I paint it on. :o

I think it's normal.

I have also notice that it will go moldy around the inside edge of the container if not refrigerated , which seems wierd as it has a mold inhibitor in it.

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:58:01 AM »
I was painting a coat tonight and remembered this thread. Here's an update on my findings (since I cream coat a lot):

I buy cream coating by the pail. So it lasts a long time. Even if I'm careful not to double-dip and always use a clean spoon, I'll sometimes get a funky old rag odour once I open a pail. What I have found is that the odour is only on the top of the liquid inside the pail. So I simply use a large spoon and scoop out the top layer. I rinse and dry the spoon in between scoops. Sometimes there's a bit of a thin skin on the top layer. So I scoop all that out with a clean spoon. Then I wipe off the inner sides of the pail with a clean paper towel. Then I give the cream coating inside the pail a good stir. This has solved the stinky problem.

I'm almost done with a 5 LBS pail and it only happened once. The odour didn't come back after doing the scoop thing. I guess it's a maintenance thing.

What not to do: I had an other smaller pail that started to stink. So I simply stirred it before applying ( i didn't scoop out the top layer). The following month or so, the odour was really bad to the point where I thought it would be best to throw it out.

Just waste the top layer, not the whole jar or pail.

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
I'm ready to try Paracoat myself.  I may be wrong but I seem to remember that this has a poly-vinyl acetate base (i.e. Elmers Glue).  I've got a request into Paramelt for the MSDS to see.  Reason is if you've done woodwork using PVA's you will notice the odor you describe.  Glad you were able to "fix" it but my guess is that it wouldn't impart any off-tastes to cheese. 

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
I have also notice that it will go moldy around the inside edge of the container if not refrigerated , which seems wierd as it has a mold inhibitor in it.

I've seen that before as well. Curious.

My cream waxjust smells like white glue. And looks like it. And acts like it.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
I see a marketing opportunity here. New product: Andy's Cheese Coating. Ingredients: 100% Elmer's Glue.

Hey, it's edible, if my childhood is any guide. :) And I have no newro nooreau mind problems whatsoever!
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
You would smear horse all over your fermented cow juice?  :o

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
No, that's a different kind of glue. Hide glue is made from horses (though could also be other animals, I think); Elmer's is made from good, natural, healthy chemicals. :)
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
No, that's a different kind of glue. Hide glue is made from horses (though could also be other animals, I think); Elmer's is made from good, natural, healthy chemicals. :)
Oh, I'm sorry then. I meant cows.  ;)