Author Topic: Gruyere with Lipase added.  (Read 2143 times)

jwalker

Gruyere with Lipase added.
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
Another Gruyere , I have about five of them aging now , this one has Lipase added to it.

All I can say is , wow , won't be making many of these without the addition of lipase anymore , it's like it has aged 6 months instead of 3 , way more flavor.

It's fast becoming one of my go to makes , very easy , and works well with store bought P/H milk.

This recipe here:  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12087.0.html

I kept half out to eat and rewaxed the rest for further aging , probably about six months.

If you only have access to P/H milk , definitely give this a try !

Kirkbybil

Re: Gruyere with Lipase added.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Looks fantastic - I would award you a cheese if only I could work out how!

I'm thinking of having a go at Gruyere so can you tell me: how much Lipase did you add to how much milk?  Don't you find that Lipase makes the cheese taste like Parmesan, rather than a buttery, nutty Gruyere flavour?

Alpkäserei

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
click the 'thumbs up' under his name on the left, that will give a cheese
Which I did, just now

It will be interesting to see, what will this do to the cheese if you age it past 6 months?  Really Gruyere and similar cheeses are supposed to be a year old. If you ever have the chance to get a  real Gruyere from Switzerland that is so old, you will think it is not even the same cheese.
I buy gruyere here some times in the store and they do not always know how old it is, but I can tell right away, it changes very much and gets a good strong flavor. Young gruyere is salty and not much flavor to me.

It looks like you need to press harder, I see a lot of little mechanical holes. These can have an effect on Gruyere.

Mach's guet...

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
I used about 1/8 tsp. of lipase to 4 gallons of milk.

It gives it quite a pleasant bite actually , allthough not as sweet as the ones without it.

Yes Alp , I do press kind of light , but with P/H milk , if you press as hard as most recipes call for , I always seem to get a dry crumbly cheese , so I've been pressing lighter , and the the texture is much nicer.

I will buy a piece of good Gruyere when I can find some , then I will have a reference point for comparison , right now I'm just guessing what it "should" taste like.

I will try one with good raw milk when I get down to Idaho for some in a week or so.

I will revisit this thread when I try the remaining half.

DrChile

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:12 PM »
very nice... a cheese for you.
Gruyere style is on my make list in the next month or so...

Trent