Author Topic: Spoons' Monterey Jack #2  (Read 4786 times)

Spoons

Spoons' Monterey Jack #2
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Since my first make was such a huge success, I decided to use the exact same recipe (Peter Dixon's) but I did use a different mould and added a bit more spices and herbs.

In my first make, I used 1.5 TBSP of crushed red pepper flakes (boiled in a bit of water and poured the cooled down water directly on the curd). The taste was bang on!

This time around I used the following spice/herbs blend (boiled in water):
1 TBSP crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp minced onions
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp more crushed red pepper flakes

I also used a tall cylindrical mould this time as opposed to a kadova/gouda style mould the last time.

RESULTS:

Boy, how much a tiny change can make a huge difference!

The first noticeable difference was the annoying semi-rind this time around. My previous make had no rind at all and it was perfect that way! Since a jack cheese only ages about 6 weeks, is not quite a rind but more like a dried up piece of cheese that's been sitting on a serving platter for a few hours. I believe the choice of mould may have an impact here. I'll try the gouda style mould again next time. The use of cream wax was purely for presentation purposes.

The other noticeable difference is the choice of spices and herbs. Although I really enjoyed my first make, I wanted to try and add a bit of complexity to the taste... Well, it's good, but the rosemary is a bit much and I'm not sure the garlic, parsley and onion did much to the cheese.

All in all, the texture and bite were perfect. I'm still hanging on to the same recipe. My Jack #3 will be the exact same make as #1 one and see at least If i can resolve that annoying wannabe rind issue I had with #2.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:18:06 PM by Spoons »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Spoons' Monterey Jack #2
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »
WoW!! looks really fantastic :P
what jack recipe did you use? do you have notes to share? whats it taste like?
AC4U  ;D Great job.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »
Thanks H-K-J  :D

Here are the notes:

Boil spices/herbs with 2 cups of water in sauce pan. Let cool. ad about 1/64 tsp baking soda in water to lower acidity level.
Heat milk to 88F (8L 0% store bought P/H + 900 ml 35% unhomogenized cream = 1.05 P:F ratio)
PH at start 6.68
Add 1/8 tsp MA11
Ripen 1 hour
Add 1/2 tsp CaCl
Add  1/2 tsp calf rennet (PH at 6.60)
Floc multiplier x3.5
Cut in 1/2" cubes. Let rest 5 mins
Stir and cook to 102F over 45 mins (did it in 43 mins)
EDIT: ADDING A LINE I FORGOT: Stir an addition 45 minutes at 102F
Settle 15 mins
Drain whey to curd level
Add 60F water until vat temp is 86F (takes about 5-7 minutes) stir while adding water
Stir 5 minutes once stable at 86F
Drain curd into colander. Wait 2 minutes.
Pour water with spices and herbs over curds. mix well. Let drain another 5 minutes
Once drained, weigh curds and ad 2% salt directly to curd. Mix well
Place curds in mould and press
Press 1: 15 mins @ 0.75 psi
Press 2: 30 mins @ 1.26 psi
Press 3: 1 hour @ 3.02 psi
Press 4: 6.5 hours @ 3.02 psi
Instructions say not to go lower than 5.2PH. I stopped pressing at 5.35
Air dried @ 15C and about 75%RH for 4 days.
Cream waxed 3 coats over 6 days, then sealed with vac seal (cream wax was purely used for presentation purposes)
Aged at 11C for another 4 weeks (6 weeks total)

Taste: Creamy, smooth and well balanced overall. I added too much herbs, the rosemary is surprisingly the most prominent taste, it's not what I was looking for. 

My next pepper jack will only have crushed red pepper flakes like I did on my first pepper jack. It was awesome! 1.5 TBSP to 8L of milk gave out a great "medium-hot" taste.

All-in-all, this was a successful cheese, I just overdid it a bit with the herbs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:38:19 AM by Spoons »

KatKooks

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:59:04 AM »
Wow, that's a beautiful looking cheese!  Congratulations!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:08 AM »
What a truly beautiful wheel, your cheeses look better than a pro's, even your label matches the paint, plus I love how the leaf breaks up the roundness of the logo. AC4U!

So, 8 liters, is this the first make with the larger square vat you just found? It is hard to imagine that a quarter teaspoon of Rosemary can overpower the two pounds of pepper jack!

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »
Thanks Kat & Dave  ;D

I made that wheel with my smaller setup (before I bought my larger setup). My larger setup does 4 - 4.5lbs cheeses. I've made 2 goudas with it since.

Rosemary is surprisingly potent! So very little, yet it tastes a bit too much.

Rizzo

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
I know this may be a silly question, but when you say;

"Add 60F water until vat temp is 86F (takes about 5-7 minutes) stir while adding water"

does this water go in with the cheese, or is added to the water bath?

thanks

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
It goes with the whey and curds. You slowly add tap water while stirring all along until your thermometer reaches 86F.

Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
Hi Eric, thanks for that. I want to try making this cheese next weekend.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
The first noticeable difference was the annoying semi-rind this time around. My previous make had no rind at all and it was perfect that way! Since a jack cheese only ages about 6 weeks, is not quite a rind but more like a dried up piece of cheese that's been sitting on a serving platter for a few hours. I believe the choice of mould may have an impact here. I'll try the gouda style mould again next time. The use of cream wax was purely for presentation purposes.
I don't see much evidence of the semi-rind in your pics. With the double wall of rind protection (cream wax + vacuum bagging) it's hard to imagine any substantive rind. ???  I have done the same with some of my cheeses and they show no rind per se.

Excellent end product, Eric. The dark cream wax combined with the classy label stand in contrast to the sublime cheese paste itself. Outstanding effort! A cheese goes into your coffers.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
I never knew Monterey Jack was a washed Curd Cheese - it explains why my first and only attempt was sort of a nowhere cheese.  It wasn't bad - just tastless :o  MBH and I love love love chili and all things hot - my next make will be this one sans rosemary.  BTW I amazed at your coverings and finish product - something to aspire to ..

CheeseOn.
 8)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Rizzo

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:45 AM »
My wife has lots of thai chilli's growing around the place.  The very small hot variety.  Would these go into a Jack, if used sparingly? Presumably the seeds are removed, being the very hot part?

Spoons

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »
My wife has lots of thai chilli's growing around the place.  The very small hot variety.  Would these go into a Jack, if used sparingly? Presumably the seeds are removed, being the very hot part?

That would be great! Just remove the seeds, dice them up and boil them in a cup of water to remove contaminants. I like to ad a tiny bit of baking soda to the water once its cooled down. The water become very acidic because of the chilis. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I do it anyways. Pour the water and chilis directly on the curds while they're draining and mix it up real good. Just make sure the water is room temp and salt AFTERWARDS. You don't want to flush out the salt with the water.

You can add some green, red and yellow bell pepper to fill out the cheese a little more, those Thai peppers are quite hot!

Pepper jack is a regular in my repertoire. I find it's optimum flavour/texture is at about 7 weeks.

Rizzo

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Great ! thanks...it's on its way.. I hope to make it tomorrow.. ;D

Rizzo

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
Hi Spoons..Just put my cheese in the press...I weighed the curds as instructed to get the salt measure...Can't believe they weighed 2.10 kg, using the 8 litres milk and 1 litre cream...This is more than double the weight of my normal cheeses using the same milk volume..(usually 900 grammes) ....Did I do something very wrong, or right, for a change???  ???