Author Topic: Hikory Aging Board & Favorite Cultures  (Read 1449 times)

KatKooks

Hikory Aging Board & Favorite Cultures
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a new cheese maker (a term which I use loosely)  and am anxiously awaiting my first cheese to be ready to taste.

I daresay the wait will kill me...

I have a question about Hickory wood as an aging board.  I found lists of acceptable woods to use including beech, birch, oak, etc. and other woods to steer clear of like walnut.  There is no listing for hickory and this is the wood that I have access to.   Because  hickory is used in smoking, I'm assuming its safe (toxin free).  FYI:  I'm using these in an attempt to create a better natural rind on some of my cheeses and because I have run out of plastic aging sheets.

Your thoughts?

Also, I will be visiting Glengarry Cheese this weekend and would love some insight into your personal favourite cultures/starters that you use for harder flavourful cheeses like cheddar, but not limited to cheddar.  I would love to create something hard, crumbly with a bit of grit in it (grit?) and some residual sweetness...I think.

Thanks so much for your insight and contributions...I've learned so much already!!

Cheers!
Katrina

Spoons

Re: Hikory Aging Board & Favorite Cultures
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
I can't really help you with your hickory board question, but here's my take on cultures:

First, I'm not a pro and I have very limited knowledge on cultures. I can't yet say that I prefer a certain culture with a certain cheese, but reading here and there, I've grown accustomed to using specific cultures with specific cheeses and I've had great results doing so.

Glengarry carries cultures from 2 companies: Abiasa and Danisco. A lot of people use Danisco, so for discussion purposes I also chose to start with Danisco. Anyways, I'm rambling on so here's my culture repertoire :

TA061 : Mozz
MM100 + Aroma B : Gouda, havarti, Caerphilly (Glengarry doesn't carry Flora Danica. Aroma B is very close in comparison)
MA011 : Jack, Colby, Cheddar

I recently bought Caldwell's book, and she uses MA4001 a lot. I used it once like 4 years ago. I'll give it a try again on my next order.

I also make the trip to Glengarry Cheese in Lancaster from time to time when I need to order. Grab some freshly made squeeky curds for your ride back (you'll thank me later  ;) )

KatKooks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:20:42 AM »
Oh thanks Eric!  I appreciate your input and actually have added all of those to my list!  ....PLUS some curds!  YUM!

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
I keep all the cultures I can find on hand.

Flora Danica is probably my most used culture , along with MA 4001.

Also been using Lipase and Kazu a lot lately , kind of experimenting with them .

Kazu adds a nice nutty flavor to just about any kind of cheese , and Lipase tends to give a stronger more pungent flavor.

If you add lipase to Alp style cheeses for instance , they tend to be more pungent , like a parmesan , but with a smoother texture , I really like it.

You will lose the sweetness of the alp style cheese though , but to me , it's all about experimenting and coming up with something I like .

Other times , it's nice to stick with traditional recipes .

As for aging boards , pine is very traditional and easy to come by just about anywhere , Some Hardwoods may impart a flavor to the cheese , hard to say.

KatKooks

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »
Thanks jwalker!  I have MA4001 and lipase but I've added kazu to my list as well!  THanks for the insight! 

I have a tomme that I was just washing today to get rid of some of the mold....or encourage it...and I thought it smelled very sweet, kind of like a Brie.  I'm not a huge fan of sweetness in a cheese so its a great tip that I can add lipase to that and it will cut it back!

Thanks!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
I would have thought soft woods would not be suitable and hard wood would be preferable.