Author Topic: Shattered curds (and dreams?)  (Read 2323 times)

DrChile

Shattered curds (and dreams?)
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:15 AM »
Attempted to make a Gouda style 4 gallon make on Sunday.

My curds shattered :-\ 
I used a P/H milk that I have used before with some success, but this just reinforces that I need to use the creamline milk available to me here in Cincinnati - it's always worked well for me in the past.

Anyhoo - my question - I followed a standard gouda make uses 140 F wash relatively quickly after noting the shattering of curds.
Can I expect a decent cheese to come out of this?

Not expecting anything close to gouda style, so anything edible is a bonus...
I was hoping to age this 9-12 months...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Trent

Spoons

Re: Shattered curds (and dreams?)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »
So the shattering occurred during the wash? If so, then at least your curd had the chance to cook a bit before shattering. May this be do to lack of CaCl? It's the only thing I can think of right now.

Looking forward to see how it ends up.

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
The small curds will make for a drier harder cheese after aging , in my experience , but still very edible , and maybe even very good.

I usually press lighter when this happens.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
I've had curds shatter on some butterkase makes, which is also a washed curd.  They can turn out just fine.  If you're unsure, make another gouda with the creamline milk and age that one out to a year and eat this one in 4 or 5 months.

- Jeff

DrChile

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Thanks all.  Good to know all may not be lost...

Spoons - It shattered when I first started stirring.  i.e. I made an initial cut and let heal, then started stirring and then they shattered.
I remember reading somewhere on this board about starting the wash right away when this happens, so i started the wash process.

I added enough CaCl - I think it's a sign of over-processed milk...

Trent

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
My experience is that while P/H milk can make good cheese the curds are (sometimes) not as firm as raw or low-temp pasteurized / non homogenized and prone to shatter if you're not careful.    I don't know enough if it's an issue with premature coagulation (:o) cutting the curds too soon / late, healing delay  too long or stirring too aggressively initially.  The most important thing I've learned is how important it is to learn to "gentle stir" until the curds start to firm.  I like to use a broad silicone spatula (or a ladle turned backwards) to avoid any sharp edges that could make matters worse.